Bringing together music from both sides of the Atlantic, BBC Concert Orchestra tips its hat to Canada in a Commonwealth celebration at Watford Colosseum.
The vast serenity of the North American countryside forms the backdrop of Ivor Novello Award-winning Robert Farnon’s Lake of the Woods. Benjamin Britten chooses the music of Canada as his inspiration for the folk-flavoured Canadian Carnival, which includes the popular 'Alouette'. Back on British soil, we bring you an epic landmark of English composition; the first symphony from William Walton.
Award-winning Canadian composer Howard Shore,best known for The Lord of the Rings film scores, forms the centrepiece with his cello concerto Mythic Gardens. Beautiful and dramatic, taking us on a virtual tour of Italy, Sophie Shao performs this UK premiere.
- Friday Night is Music Night Friday Night is Music Night: Heroes and Villains26 Jul 2017 Corn Exchange, King's Lynn
- Friday Night is Music Night Friday Night Is Music Night: Our Great Arrangers28 Jul 2017 The Mermaid, London
- Proms 2017 Prom 27: Ella and Dizzy: A Centenary Tribute4 Aug 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Friday Night is Music Night Friday Night Is Music Night: Snape Proms1 Sep 2017 Snape Maltings Concert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 8: Celebrating John Williams20 Jul 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Friday Night is Music Night Friday Night Is Music Night: Movie Maestros15 Jul 2017 Lichfield Cathedral
- Friday Night is Music Night Friday Night Is Music Night: Michael Feinstein celebrates Harry Warren11 Jul 2017 The Mermaid, London
- New Music Biennial 2017 New Music Biennial: Mica Levi9 Jul 2017 Southbank Centre, London