The young Scheherazade can delay her daybreak execution only by diverting the sultan with magnificent stories. She tells him of The Sea and the Shipwreck on the Rock, The Young Prince and Princess and The Festival of Baghdad. In his musical version of Sheherazade’s night of magnificent tales, Rimsky-Korsakov conjured magic, propulsion and beauty in some of the most intoxicating orchestral music ever written. Here, in a similarly astonishing show of skill and dexterity, Maxim Vengerov conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra and plays the violin solos as the neat and ordered brilliance of Beethoven’s Triple Concerto meets the spectacular, seat-pinning power of Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade. Don’t miss Vengerov with some of his closest invited colleagues in what’s sure to be an atmosphere-charged concert.
Promoted by the Barbican.
Part ofBBC SO 2013-14 Season
- Proms 2017 Prom 29: Mussorgsky – Khovanshchina6 Lún 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 39: Debussy, Ravel and Mark-Anthony Turnage14 Lún 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 45: Mahler – ‘Resurrection’ Symphony18 Lún 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 51: Sibelius, Saint-Saens and Elgar–Payne22 Lún 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 18: Sirens and Scheherazade28 Iúil 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 13: Malcolm Sargent's 500th Prom24 Iúil 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 7: Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique19 Iúil 2017 Royal Albert Hall
- Proms 2017 Prom 1: First Night of the Proms14 Iúil 2017 Royal Albert Hall