once in a blue moon: a tribute to lal waterson
Cecil Sharp House
Thursday 25 October
Lal Waterson was one of Britain's most revered folk singers. For the BBC Electric Proms the whole Waterson family (including Norma Waterson, Mike Waterson, Eliza Carthy, Martin Carthy, Marry Gilhooley and Oliver Knight) will gathered together to celebrate her songs. They were joined by special guests including James Yorkston, Alasdair Roberts, Lisa Knapp, Tim Van Eyken and Kathryn Williams.
Copy this code to add this slideshow to your webpage:
Sorry we were only able to keep performance videos online for a week after the festival.
on the bbc
- Some Old Salty
- Flight Of The Pelican
- Foolish One/li>
- The Altisidora
- So Strange Is Man
- Migrating Bird
- Fine Horse Man
- Winifer Odd
- Never The Same
- At First She Starts
- Midnight Feast
- Her White Gown
- Evona Darling
- The Bird
- Wilsons Arms
- One Of Those Days
- Red Wine Promises
- Song For Thersa
- Once In A Blue Moon
- Stumbling On
Minute by minute report, via text message, by the BBC's Clare Hudson and Daniela Armstrong.
- 19.36 - Radio 2's Mike Harding takes the stage to introduce the event with a story of when he first met Mike and Lal Waterson.
- 19.38 - There are twelve people on the stage. It's hard to describe how powerful the sound is.
- 19.39 - Eliza is centre stage in a fabulous red dress.
- 19.42 - She's introducing the house band. She's warned up she might blub. She won't be alone if she does!
- 19.44 - 'Flight of the Pelican' starts with a guitar solo followed by the haunting lyrics sung by Eliza about
- 19.47 - Marry Gilhooley, Lal's daughter, joins Eliza for 'Foolish One'.
- 19.49 - Their vocals are supported by a string quartet.
- 19.53 - Eliza introduces special guest actor Tim van Eyken to ring the next song 'The Altistadora'.
- 19.57 - Another special guest - James Yorkston and guitar join Tim for 'So Strange Is Man'.
- 20.00 - Liverpool artist Kathryn Williams takes centre stage for the 'Haunting Bird' supported by the string quartet.
- 20.03 - The audience are delighted as Kathryn sings 'Phoebe' and 'Cornfield' which she explains are part of the same story.
- 20.05 - An instrumental resounds around the walls of Cecil Sharp House.
- 20.10 - Marry and Eliza are back for 'Memories'. It's a family affair with Lal's son Oliver Knight on guitar.
- 20.13 - Eliza affectionately introduces her old Dad, Martin Carthy, to the stage to accompany 'Marry in Fine Horse Man'.
- 20.18 - Martin's singing this one solo. 'Winifer Odd'. It's a curious song of a woman in strange circumstances!
- 20.23 - One more from Martin. 'Never The Same' harks back to the old days.
- 20.49 - The second half starts the man from Fife, James Yorkston singing the melancholic 'At First She Starts'.
- 20.56 - 'Midnight Feast' and James is joined by Norma and Mike, Lal's sister and brother.
- 21.01 - He jokes about the rehearsals at Norma's house. Wouldn't you love to have been a fly on the wall there!
- 21.03 - Another special guest Liza Knapp brings what looks like an electric zither to the stage to give her rendition of 'Her White Gown'.
- 21.05 - She's immersed in the song.
- 21.07 - Talented Lisa takes to the auto harp for this next care free track 'Evona Darling'.
- 21.17 - Alasdair Roberts is the next special guest, he solos on 'The Bird'.
- 21.20 - Mike Waterson has arrived on stage, introduced by his niece Eliza as the family trouble maker. He's joined by Liza and Dougie.
- 21.23 - Mike stays on stage joined by brother-in-law Martin and nephew Oliver.
- 21.26 - Mike jokes with the crew and the audience - "We're only here to have fun", he laughs.
- 21.33 - After a moving song Mike invites "the plague of his life" Norma to join him in Red Wine Promises!
- 21.37 - Norma introduces 'Song for Thersa', the lady who looked after her, Lal and Mike when they were kids. Did Norma just wipe away a tear?
- 21.38 - The family unite again for 'Once In a Blue Moon' what an incredible line up.
- 21.42 - Eliza grabs a violin in this track.
- 21.45 - Everyone's back on stage. Eliza runs through the thank yous and the applause for the assembled throng.
- 21.49 - The crowd are demanding more. Will they get it?
- 21.50 - They're back, but Norma says they've not rehearsed any more. Ah they've found one!
- 21.51 - Goodnight, goodnight, goodnight!
- Mark Ronson with special guests and the BBC Concert Orchestra
- Paul McCartney
- Kaiser Chiefs via David Arnold
- Bloc Party
- Ray Davies and friends
- Agaskodo Teliverek
- Ben Westbeech
- Basquiat Strings
- The Beatles: Help!
- Bob Dylan: The Other Side of the Mirror
- Breed 77
- Charlie Louvin
- The Chemical Brothers
- Cold War Kids
- The Coral
- Daft Punk: Electroma
- Duke Special
- Durrty Goodz
- Edwyn Collins
- The Enemy
- The Flaming Lips:
UFOs at the Zoo
- Kano presents London Town
- Kid Harpoon
- Noah and the Whale
- Once in a Blue Moon:
A tribute to Lal Waterson
- The Metros
- New Cassettes
- Radio Luxembourg
- Reverend and the Makers
- The Riff Raff and Riz MC
- Sam Isaac
- Sigur Rós: Heima
- SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS with Jamie Cullum
- Taio Cruz