Section 17: Interacting with our Audiences
The BBC may sometimes establish its own awards to recognise the achievements and talents of members of the public or certain groups such as writers, musicians and sports stars. These awards may sometimes be run in conjunction with suitable outside organisations.
BBC awards bear the BBC brand and therefore give a stamp of approval for achievements of individuals or third party organisations. They should only be set up to serve a serious purpose. Very careful organisation and resourcing is required.
In addition to the Editorial Guidelines, there is detailed guidance on all stages of setting up and running a BBC award, including a mandatory approvals process.
(See Guidance: Audience Interactivity)
- The subject matter of BBC awards should be appropriate and should not compromise our editorial independence, impartiality or integrity
- We should not set up an award if we do not intend its recipient to be able to make reference to their achievements
- There must be clear terms and conditions and criteria for the nominees, and also for the judges
- Consideration should be given at a senior level to see whether the establishment of a BBC award is appropriate
- In certain cases it may be possible for a BBC award which is given at a BBC event to be supported by a non-commercial sponsor
- All funding arrangements for BBC public service awards must conform to the Framework for Funding Prizes and Awards and the Guidance on Sponsorship of On-Air Events broadcast on publicly funded channels. Any proposal to take sponsorship for a BBC award must be referred to Chief Adviser Editorial Policy in advance.
(See Guidance: Sponsorship of On-Air Events)
- Mandatory Referrals
- Pre-recorded or Repeated Programmes
- The Interactivity Technical Advice and Contracts Unit (ITACU)
- Telephone Services
- Game Shows and Quizzes
- Talent Shows and Programme Offering Life Changing Opportunities
- Phone-in Programmes, User Generated Content Online, Mobile Content, Games and Interactive TV
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here