Section 4: Impartiality
(Mandatory Referrals are part of the BBC's editorial management system. While they will not, in themselves, meet the Principles in the Editorial Guidelines, they are an essential part of the process to ensure compliance and must be observed.)
Referrals to Editorial Policy
Any approach by a government department to relay official messages or information films which involve a degree of public policy or political controversy must be referred to Chief Adviser Politics.
Any BBC public service initiative involving any element of fundraising must be referred to Chief Adviser Editorial Policy.
Any proposal to invite a politician to be a guest on a programme or area of content where to do so is the exception rather than the rule, must be referred to Chief Adviser Politics.
- Mandatory Referrals
- Breadth and Diversity of Opinion
- Controversial Subjects
- News, Current Affairs and Factual Output
- Drama, Entertainment and Culture
- Contentious Views and Possible Offence
- Consensus, Campaigns and Scrutiny
- Elections and Referendums
- Impartiality in Series and Over Time
- Personal View Content
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here