If you would like to apply for a BBC Radio 4 or BBC One Lifeline Appeal, please email the BBC Charity Appeals Unit telling us:
- Name of your charity
- Your Charity Registration number (you must be registered with the UK Charity Commission to be eligible)
- Name of charity contact (email + phone no.) i.e. the person who is going to fill out the application form
Our new system is now live
If your charity currently has an application in draft on our old platform, you will need to register for the new Charity Box system.
Deadlines for submitting an application:
|Application Deadline||Transmission Dates|
|23.59 9th Sept 2019||2 Aug 2020 - 25 Oct 2020|
|23.59 9 Dec 2019||1 Nov 2020 - 31 Jan 2021|
|23.59 16 Mar 2020||7 Feb 2021 - 25 Apr 2021|
|23.59 18 May 2020||2 May 2021 - 25 Jul 2021|
|23.59 7 Sept 2020||1 Aug 2021 - 31 Oct 2021|
You will be informed of whether you are successful approximately 3 months after the deadline date. Please note you must meet the criteria in order to be eligible for an appeal. A BBC appeal cannot support:
- Animal Welfare
- Restoration or repair of buildings, new building or extension work
- Religious organisations that are seeking to proselytise or whose beneficiaries are of a particular faith
- Fund or charities which exist to maintain or establish physical memorials
- Benefits provided by trade or professional organisations' benevolent fund which are unavailable to the general public
- Activities where donations would replace funding or services normally provided by central government and local authorities
- Local charities that operate within limited geographical areas
- Charities that are members of the Disasters Emergency Committee
Do you meet the criteria?
You are registered with the Charity Commission
3 years have passed since you had a BBC broadcast appeal
Your work has UK-wide or international scope and/or significance
You can provide two sets of audited or independently examined accounts
You have up to date management accounts within a 3 month period
You have waited 2 years since your last unsuccessful application
How Radio 4 and BBC One Lifeline Appeal charities are using your donations
Sound Seekers and National Eye Research Centre talk about how to engage other charities to share their Radio 4 Appeal
Michael Palin has been a great supporter of these appeals and written and presented several himself.
CALM discuss the Lifeline Appeal they had in January 2015 and how they used social media to create a bigger campaign.
Caron Bradshaw talks about her role as a voluntary member of the BBC Appeals Advisory Committee
If you've landed on this page because you have recently heard or read about the BBC's broadcast appeals, then welcome.
The charity Cord had a Radio 4 Appeal in July 2012. They reflect on the impact it had.