- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry dough – to make a batch of 4 roses
- 2 large apples
- 115 grams of cheese
- 1 cup cranberry sauce preferably homemade
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Some water
Sweet flowers (puff pastry roses): Ingredients
1) Cut the apples into quarters and remove the cores.
2) Slice the apple into thin segments (roughly 2mm thick at the top). Grab a grown-up to help do this.
3) Fill a bowl a quarter of the way full with a mixture of water and cranberry sauce.
4) Place the pieces of apple into the bowl, so they soak in the liquid.
5) Cook the apple pieces in the microwave for 3 minutes and leave to cool.
6) Slice the cheese thinly into rectangular shapes, approximately 4cm by 2cm.
7) Roll out a sheet of puff pastry onto a chopping board.
8) Cut the dough evenly into 4 long strips (edges are roughly 8cm).
9) Whisk an egg into a bowl.
10) Brush the bottom of one strip of puff pastry dough with the beaten egg.
11) Once the apple segments are cool, overlap them along the bottom edge of the pastry with the straight edge inwards.
12) Spread a small amount of cranberry sauce evenly along the straight edges of the apple segments.
13) Place the pieces of cheese on top of the apple and cranberry sauce, leaving a little gap between each one.
14) Roll the strip up into a cylinder shape, making sure the apple, cheese and cranberry sauce don’t fall out.
15) Pinch the two bottom halves of the pastry together to make a closed, solid base.
16) Put the pastry roses in a cupcake baking tray with the apples facing up.
17) Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
18) Repeat the steps 10 to 16 until all 4 strips of dough have been used.
19) Put them in the oven for 25 minutes. Grab a grown-up to help do this.
20) Remove from the oven and leave to cool down.
21) When they are cool, serve them to a loved one!
Savoury hearts (Welsh rarebit): Ingredients
- Grated cheese in a large mixing bowl
- One egg whisked up in a mug
- A large tablespoon of mayonnaise
- A teaspoon or two of mustard (depending on your taste)
- Worcester sauce
- Sliced bread
1) Whisk an egg into a bowl.
2) Add one tablespoon of mayonnaise.
3) Add two teaspoons of English mustard.
4) Add a splash of Worcester sauce.
5) Mix all the ingredients together into a paste.
6) Grate 200 grams of cheese into a bowl.
7) Put two large handfuls of the cheese into the paste and stir.
8) Continue to add more cheese until the mixture is no longer runny.
9) Lightly toast two pieces of bread.
10) Cut the bread into a heart shape. Be careful when cutting the bread.
11) Spread a thick layer of the paste onto the bread.
12) Cut a thin slice of tomato and place in the centre.
13) Pre-heat the oven to 230 degrees centigrade. Grab a grown-up to help you with these steps.
14) Put under the grill for 10 minutes, until the cheese bubbles and starts to brown.
15) Remove from the oven and add a sprig of parsley on top of the tomato to finish.