Software Engineering Graduate Scheme
We need passionate software engineers to join us, to drive innovation and help shape the future of the BBC.
This scheme is currently closed for applications.
Duration: 2 years (Four 6-month rotations)
Location: London, MediaCityUK (Salford) and Glasgow
What will I do as part of the scheme?
The BBC is changing - we’re adapting to our audience all the time, so we need passionate software engineers to join us, to drive innovation and help shape the future of the BBC.
We ask that you have a software engineering, or similar, degree, or equivalent knowledge and experience. We’re looking for people who love working with others in a collaborative environment. And we’re looking for people who want to apply their skills towards brands that reach millions each day.
You will complete four 6-month rotations. You will choose rotations 2, 3 and 4 from a huge variety of teams. You are encouraged to experience as wide a spread of technologies as possible. Each team you join will provide you with experience in different languages, technologies and ways of working. You will get the opportunity to work on products such as BBC Sounds, BBC News, iPlayer, or the Alexa Kid’s skill. You will also get the opportunity to work on vital back-end services that support our audience facing products, such as the Programmes Metadata Team, or the Content Management iSite Team. By the end of the scheme you will have been part of 4 distinct teams, having worked with many different technologies, people and products, allowing you to discover what suits you perfectly.
Technologies used by teams around the BBC include:
- Amazon Web Services (including Lambda, DynamoDB, S3 and EC2)
- HTML 5 & CSS 3
- Kotlin & Swift
- Java & Objective C
- Relational, NoSQL and Graph databases
Our award-winning BBC Training Academy offers a wide variety of training courses to help you in each rotation and you are encouraged to do as much relevant training, both classroom and online, as possible. When working in your team, you’ll be able to learn from talented developers and product specialists in a positive, friendly and collaborative environment.
Who are you?
As long as you have the relevant skills in order to be a successful trainee software engineer we would love to hear from you. Whether you are a self-taught coder looking for a career change, or a graduate (no matter how recent); read on to find out if your skills match what we’re looking for.
- You will have completed a degree in a related field, or have equivalent knowledge/ experience.
- You love working in teams, learning from others, and helping others to learn.
- Our software engineers are really passionate about what they do, so you'll need to have the passion to match!
- You will share our values.
We have opportunities in London, MediaCityUK (Salford) and Glasgow. Please state your preferred location on your application. Assessment days are held in MediaCityUK, London and Glasgow. We can only accept applicants who already have the right to work in the UK.
We are a diversity champion and we promote a good working environment for all existing and potential staff ensuring equal treatment for all of our employees. We have formed a partnership with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA. Click here to view our vacancies in an accessible format. If you have a disability you will also have the option to go through our Extend Hub when you apply.
What are we offering?
- £22,714 (outside London) and £27,319 (London) will be your starting salary, with an increase in your second year.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- The latest Macbook Pro.
- The opportunity to work on world-class digital products in an inclusive environment.
- The option to do a rotation in a location other than your base location.
- A dedicated mentor, often a former graduate, who can help you with your personal development and career goals.
- A dedicated scheme manager who is always on-hand to assist you.
- 26 days’ holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days.
- A defined contributions pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Design + Engineering Trainee schemes
- UX Design Trainee SchemeTo build the best UX team in the business, we’re doing all we can to nurture the next generation of design superstars.
- R&D Graduate SchemeAre you an innovative engineer, researcher or technologist with an interest in the future of media?
- Broadcast Engineering Graduate SchemeThis is an exciting opportunity to train as a Broadcast Engineer with the BBC, while gaining a post graduate qualification.
- Software Engineering Graduate SchemeWe need passionate software engineers to join us, to drive innovation and help shape the future of the BBC.