Wales Production Apprenticeship
Applications for this scheme are currently closed
Start Date: September 2020
Are you full of ideas for TV, Radio or Online?
Are you a brilliant planner/ organiser and want to use those skills behind the scenes at the BBC?
Are you visually creative with a good eye for detail in graphics and design?
If your answer to any of these is yes, then we want to hear from you!
Our Wales Production Scheme could be the first step you make towards your career in media.
During the 12 month scheme you will get hands on training in exciting production areas whilst studying towards a Level 3 in Creative and Digital Media, which is delivered by the learning provider Sgil Cymru.
If you are successful on to our Wales Production Scheme, you will have the chance to work in one of our exciting departments:
- TV Factual
- Digital and Marketing
- TV Drama
- National Orchestra & Chorus of Wales
You will be able to select your preferred department when you apply however you will still be considered for all areas.
This scheme will give you the skills, knowledge and experience to apply for entry level roles in a production environment or work as a freelancer.
Previous apprentices have gone on to secure some of the following roles:
- Junior Researcher
- Production Management Assistant
- Content Assistant
Who are you?
If this sounds like the scheme for you, this is what we’re looking for…
- have a passion for content, whether that be TV, Radio and Online and be motivated to learn the production process from start to finish.
- Love working with other people and be able to demonstrate that you are a great team player.
- Be full of ideas and can think outside the box. You will be able to demonstrate your creative flair throughout the application.
- Be able to demonstrate your passion for the area of Production that you wish to do your apprenticeship in.
- Be interested in the shows and programmes created in BBC Wales.
- Be able to balance your time between your busy work placements as well as your work set by the learning provider and additional training.
- Ideally have a minimum of four GCSEs including at least grade C in English and Maths.
- Not be planning to do this scheme as a gap year programme
The scheme is aimed at non graduates. If you already have a degree we would encourage you to search our other vacancies for entry level roles in Wales: https://careerssearch.bbc.co.uk/
If you have had continuous paid production work in the media industry, or at the BBC, we would encourage you to search for other roles in BBC Wales that are more relevant to your level of experience: https://careerssearch.bbc.co.uk/
We do not ask for a CV at this stage, but if you are lucky enough to make it through to our video assessment stage, please be prepared to upload this to your careers hub profile.
What are we offering?
- A 12 month fixed term contract with an salary of £14,250 per year
- Additional training delivered by the BBC Academy from specialists and senior BBC and freelance production staff.
- Level 3 qualification in Creative & Digital Media delivered by Sgil Cymru.
- A BBC Mentor who offers support and advice, alongside your manager, for the duration of your apprenticeship
- A former production apprentice will also be your ‘buddy’ so that you always feel there is someone there to ask those additional questions
You will complete an application form which will ask you why you want to be on the Production Apprenticeship scheme.
After the closing date, your application will be reviewed and if we like what we see you will be invited to complete the next stage. This stage is a video interview, where we will ask you to answer multiple questions which are relevant to the scheme. This will help us get to know you better as you will submit a video response.
The successful candidates at the video interview stage will be invited to an assessment centre which takes place in Cardiff. The scheme will begin in September 2020.
Due to health and safety considerations, we cannot accept applications from individuals under the age of 18 at the time of the apprenticeship. There is no upper age limit.
This Apprenticeship programme is part financed by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.
We are a diversity champion and we promote a good working environment for all existing and potential staff ensuring equal treatment for all of our employees. We have formed a partnership with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA. Click here to view our vacancies in an accessible format. If you have a disability you will also have the option to go through our Extend Hub when you apply.
For any questions and updates about the BBC’s Production schemes follow @BBCGetin / #bbcgetin on Twitter & Instagram.