« Previous | Main | Next »

The Senghenydd pit disaster

Post categories:

Phil Carradice Phil Carradice | 14:19 UK time, Friday, 14 October 2011

At 8.00am on Tuesday 14 October 1913 a huge explosion rocked the tiny town of Senghenydd, to the north of Caerphilly. It came from the coal mine belonging to the Universal Colliery, the most significant employer in the area, and before the hour was out it was clear to everyone, miners and their families alike, that what had happened was a disaster of major proportions.

The explosion, and subsequent release of poisonous gas, killed 439 miners, making the Senghenydd pit disaster the most lethal and tragic mining disaster in British history. On that morning nearly 950 men had been working below ground, and many of them were killed or injured before they even knew what was happening.

The Universal Steam Coal Company (a subsidiary of Lewis Merthyr Consolidated Collieries) had sunk the first shaft at Senghenydd in 1891, full production using two shafts - the Lancaster and York - beginning five years later. In the years leading up to World War One there was an unprecedented demand for Welsh coal, most of it being used to fuel the battleships of the Royal Navy. And Universal, privately owned and privately run, like all of the other south Wales collieries, prospered.

The explosion that brought about the disaster was probably caused by an electrical spark from something like the electric signalling gear igniting methane gas, firedamp as it was known. As if that wasn't enough, the firedamp explosion caused coal dust lying on the floor of the mine to rise and this also caught fire and exploded in a gigantic roar. The shock wave promptly caused more coal dust to rise into the air and this also then ignited. In effect, what happened was a series of self-fueling explosions.

The explosions were so violent that the cage of the Lancaster pit was even blown back up the shaft to wedge in the pithead winding gear. A bandsman standing close by was decapitated by a piece of flying wood.

The fires spread through most of the underground workings, quickly followed by afterdamp. These were gasses formed by the explosion, waves of carbon monoxide, that ensured those miners who had escaped the explosion would be suffocated due to lack of oxygen unless they could quickly get to the surface.

Rescue teams from places such as Crumlin and Aberdare were rushed to the scene but attempts at getting the men out were hampered by fallen debris, by a series of roof falls and by raging fires. One of the rescuers was caught and killed in one of these roof falls but, regardless of the cost, the men worked on.

And they did manage to find men and boys still alive in the wreckage, the families of the Senghenydd miners greeting each successful escape with joy and with the belief that their own loved ones would soon be brought to the surface. However, as the days wore on, survivors grew fewer and the carrying out of bodies became the norm.

The rescue attempts lasted for three weeks although, by then, the chances of finding anyone alive had long since gone. Some of the bodies had been so badly mutilated in the explosion that they could only be identified by certain items of clothing they were wearing. One man was recognised by his new boots, worn for the first time that day; another - a young boy - by the patch his mother had sewn onto his jacket only a few days before.

It was estimated that over 1,000 people in the area were bereaved by the Senghenydd disaster. Certainly nearly all of the families in the town were touched, in one way or another. And yet, despite the resulting enquiry finding numerous faults that could be laid at the door of the owners and managers, when compensation and fines were levied they came to a derisive £24 - in total! As one newspaper commented, that meant that miners lives were worth just £0 .. 1 .. 11 - a sum that, these days, would equate to no more than six pence.

Universal Colliery was back in use by the end of November 1913 and full production was again achieved by 1916. The mine was not to last much longer, however, workmen and staff being given just one day's notice of closure in March 1928. Although the site was later acquired by Powell Duffryn in order to give extra ventilation to their Windsor Colliery, the Senghenydd shaft was finally filled in 1979.

There are several memorials to the men and boys who lost their lives at senghenydd, one at Nant y Parc Primary School which now stands on the site of the mine. There is another at the local comprehensive and a clock in the square at Senghenydd also commemorates the disaster.

But the real tragedy of Senghenydd does not lie in just the 1913 disaster. Proving that the old adage "lightning does not strike twice in the same place" is a mere fallacy, twelve years earlier, on Friday 24 May 1901, the same colliery had experienced its first disaster. At 5.00am on that day an explosion decimated the mine and killed 81 men. There was just one survivor pulled from the mine shaft.

The history of Wales and its industrial past is full of tragedy, human grief and loss. But none of the disasters that have befallen the country are worse than the Senghenydd mining disaster when tragedy struck the same village and the same community, not once but twice within the space of a dozen years.

Listen to an interview with William Vizard, ex-miner who survived the Senghennydd pit disaster in 1913.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions


  • Comment number 1.

    It is fascinating listening to that old recording. He must have passed away by now. I wonder if any of his family remain in the area? I am aware that there is a Heritage Museum in Senghenydd, I will make enquiries. The centenary of the 1913 explosion is soon and although there is a Memorial Service held every year I believe something special is being planned.

  • Comment number 2.

    Indeed there is a community led Heritage Museum based within Senghenydd Community Centre (open free of charge to the public 11am-2pm Monday to Saturday). The Museum is well worth a visit to see some of the archive photographs, films and newspaper reports from the time of the 1913 Universal Colliery explosion.

    Members and volunteers of the Aber Valley Heritage Group are currently working hard to ensure the 100 year anniversary of the explosion is properly commemorated. Plans have been underway for some time to develop a more fitting Memorial to the 521 men and boys killed in both the 1901 and 1913 disasters. This will take the form of a Memorial Wall (to include the names, age and address of each victim) and a central sculpture to reflect the sorrow of those left behind.

    Thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund, Caerphilly County Borough Council and local Community Councils we have already raised in excess of £100,000. Many local people and relatives have also come forward to sponsor individual name tiles for the Memorial Wall helping to raise much needed match funding. If anyone is interested in sponsoring a name tile please get in touch with the Museum at senghen.heritage@btconnect.com

    Please do come and visit the Museum if you are ever in the South Wales area - our volunteers will make sure a warm welcome awaits you!

  • Comment number 3.

    My Uncle (Nans Brother) was a survivor of the 1913 disaster, he was in an S4C documentary over 20 years ago talking about the day and the aftermath.
    I note there is going to be an event next year to commemorate the centenary, is there a website we can look at as my father is looking to go back to Senghenydd next year on the anniversary.

  • Comment number 4.

    The new website for Senghenydd Heritage is being launched on 28 June - as soon as official I will send it to you. What is the name of your Nan's brother, the survivor of 1913 disaster? I could go into the Heritage museum and see what I can find out or you could even email the project officer if you wanted!

  • Comment number 5.

    My Maternal Grandfather, David Jones lived at 6, Brynhyfryd Terrace Senghenydd and worked as a fireman at the colliery. He was on the afternoon shift on 14th. Oct. and was at home at the time of the explosion. He was among the first party who accompanied the Manager into the mine after the explosion. He brought out of the mine pieces of green glass fem water bottles which had been melted in the heat and pieces of wood about 4 inches in diameter which had been converted to charcoal by the intense heat and lack of oxygen. These items I donated to the mining department of the Rhondda College of Further Education when I was a student there in 1960

  • Comment number 6.

    There are many images on the disaster at https://www.facebook.com/CaerphillyLocalHistory


More from this blog...

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.