Main content

Liz Bonnin on Animals In Love: How a pair of greylag geese could rival any great romance

Comments

This entry is now closed for comments.

• Comment number 16. Posted by rangda

3 Mar 2015 20:11
    The pop music completely ruined your documentary "Animals in Love".

Please, please could you choose more sympathetic music for any future documentaries about animals.

The sounds of nature and the animals should not be obliterated by music
  • Comment number 15. Posted by U16146671

9 Feb 2015 1:10
    Thank you very much Liz Bonnin for the show. Can't wait to see the next one.

I am glad to see the facts as what they are and to let the viewers make their own judgement. It is very fair for the scientists to make their own call with the behaviour.

We also should honour both the carers and the researchers who have shown their empathy towards these animals.

But what is more breath taking is to see the 'wild animals' showing such intense emotions in their own way. That puts my senitivity into a very rough ride and I am short of tears at the sight of cruelty by humans.
    It makes me say " Humans leave the animals alone". "Lets live and let them live too".
  • Comment number 14. Posted by U16226137

7 Feb 2015 20:21
    BBC produce world class documentaries. But this must be in a class of its own. It should be shown in schools. Why? Because of the subject matter "Animals in Love" fascinating stuff.
  • Comment number 13. Posted by U16224571

5 Feb 2015 11:14
    Hi Andy Fisher
    Thank you for the feedback about Animals in Love and the story we covered about the elephants and Lawrence Anthony. I understand your suspicion, it is an extraordinary story, but we were satisfied with the evidence provided for it. Firstly, there are date specific photographs documenting the elephants at Lawrence’s house for both 2013 & 2014. Furthermore, there were several witnesses to the elephants arriving at Lawrence's house, other than his immediate family. As we said in the film WHY they come no one knows - it may just be an extraordinary coincidence. I completely agree with you that this story warrants further investigation.
  • Comment number 12. Posted by roger

4 Feb 2015 13:35
    An excellent program... BUT....

It was stated that the elephants return every year on exactly the anniversary of the death of Lawrence Anthony.
    I do not doubt that the Elephants return every year, I do not doubt that animals love & grieve but I wonder who taught them the Gregorian calendar & it'all about leap years for them to return on "exactly" the same date!
  • Comment number 11. Posted by U14515617

2 Feb 2015 22:54
    I really enjoyed watching this. It was quite touching and beautiful to see animals in this way. Thanks for making this episode and I look forward to what else is to come.
  • Comment number 10. Posted by U14363800

1 Feb 2015 22:42
    That's awful Father Goose if you're right. I think the scientific credibility of the programme is in serious doubt, sadly.
  • Comment number 9. Posted by U8521361

1 Feb 2015 22:34
    I enjoyed this programme but was horrified to see that the Greylag segment was dubbed with (domestic?) mallard vocalisations. I've no doubt that geese experience love but why were they robbed of their voices? Does nobody at OSF know the difference between these staggeringly different wildfowl?
    Lorenz would undoubtedly have had plenty to say on the matter - shame to ruin the credibility of a programme with a scientific slant..
  • Comment number 8. Posted by U16222342

1 Feb 2015 22:11
    Hi Liz,
    A similar thing happened on a Game Reserve called Emerie in Zimbabwe. The owner of the Reserve died and whilst his funeral was taking place (on the Reserve) the elephants, who lived on the Reserve appeared out of nowhere and stood at the graveside. I was told that this amazing story was also in one of the English papers.
  • Comment number 7. Posted by U16222245

1 Feb 2015 20:22
    I agree with Andy on substantiating the elephant story even tho I choked up at the thought if that could be validated that would be amazing.