Can you sing the Hallelujah Chorus?
On Tuesday evening after work I took the tube to English National Opera's rehearsal space in West Hampstead. There I met the 47 or so members of the public who are preparing to be part of the ENO's Messiah production later this year.
Director Deborah Warner has started rehearsing with them in the last week and I met with them to find out what their expectations are and how they got involved in the project in the first place. They will not be singing in the production but all wanted to get a flavour of the work which many of them are unfamiliar with.
It was a great evening. Nic Chalmers, assistant chorus master, took us through our paces. If we'd had longer I'm sure we could have learned the whole chorus! (sorry, the microphone is a bit too close to the bass section...)
Listen to our efforts and hear some of the participant's thoughts on being involved. Nic Chalmers introduces the clip.
I also met with Joyia Fitch, Community Ensemble Participant, who is contributing to the ENO's blog.Read her thoughts.
- You can learn to sing the Hallelujah Chorus with our downloads.
- Register your choir to sing the Hallelujah Chorus on our map.
- Get a grip on Handel.
- Find out about the ENO's production.
- Watch an interview with conductor Laurence Cummings.
- ENO's Messiah will be broadcast on Chrismas Day on BBC Radio 3.