Think IdeasTap, Think help for emerging talent
We get a lot of questions about where else you can find funding opportunities outside of the BBC Performing Arts Fund, so we thought we'd invite our friends at IdeasTap to introduce themselves and give you a bit of in insight into the support they can offer emerging talent.
We help in a number of ways:
• We offer funding
• We let you know about opportunities we have on offer
• We keep you posted on any jobs in the arts
• Through our online magazine, IdeasMag, we offer advice
We try to make the application process for our fund and opportunities (such as live briefs and showcasing opportunities) as simple as possible. You can find out more about how we judge our briefs here.
We also offer a number of different bursaries through our funding stream IdeasFund. They look like this:
Ideas Fund Innovators
Open all year, with four deadlines for submissions, this Fund offers £1,000 awards for projects from any creative discipline. In the past we’ve funded everything from performances to photography collectives, visual artists to filmmakers.
Ideas Fund Edinburgh
Normally open for six weeks from October, the Edinburgh award provides two winning companies with £10,000 each, along with expert mentoring, to take a show to the world’s largest arts festival. For the last two years, Ideas Fund Edinburgh winners have gone on to secure Fringe First awards for their productions.
Ideas Fund Shorts
Open for six weeks from February, Shorts offers young filmmakers £5,000 to create a five-minute short film. Entries this year included documentaries, conceptual pieces, trailers for features, music videos, fashion films and animated shorts.
Top Up Fund
The Top Up Fund is managed by a changing panel of IdeasTap members, who decide the theme and award the funding. This Fund offers 20 projects a £500 cash injection, based on a particular theme.
In addition to the funding outlined above, we also partner with Sky Arts to offer the Sky Arts Ignition: Futures Fund. The fund aims to help five young artists (aged 18-30) to take their creative practice to the next level through £30,000 each and expert mentoring. It’s currently open to the following categories:
• Performing arts: theatre-makers including playwrights, spoken word artists, directors, puppeteers and live artists
• Dance: dancers and choreographers
• Music: musicians, composers, songwriters and conductors
• Visual art: fine artists, sculptors, photographers, animators and video artists
• Creative producing: do you bring together disparate parts of culture in exciting and innovative ways? This category is open to creative producers working in visual arts, theatre, film and performance/dance.
For further information on the Sky Arts Ignition: Futures Fund visit www.ideastap.com/futuresfund
Membership is free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up. So you see, there are loads of reasons why you should visit us and keep an eye on what we are up to".