#PunkBritannia - the Ultimate US Punk Playlist
After looking at the UK Punk scene last week and some of the amazing music it helped develop, this week we are turning our attentions to the US scene, and inparticular New York as 6 Music and BBC 4 continue celebrating Punk Britannia.
All day on Sunday 6 Music will be celebrating the anarchistic music which emerged from the Big Apple with Patti Smith’s 6 Music Playlist, Huey looking at the Legacy of his hometown, a Month of Sundays with Mark Ronsen and then A Punk Tale of Two Cities after us will debate whether New York or London can claim the cultural movement as their own.
We need your suggestions and they could be:
* Those who kicked it off in the city like Television and New York Dolls
* Then there’s some of the girls at the front of the scene like Patti Smith and Blondie
* The Ramones claimed to have brought punk to England, and there’s also The Heartbreakers and Talking Heads
* Something from the other US centers of Punk which emerged like The Weirdos and Black Randy of LA or San Francisco’s The Avengers or Negative Trend
* How about some more modern artists who take influence like The Stokes, Jimmy Eat World or Sum 41
As always you can suggest track to us on this blog, our Facebook page, on Twitter using #PunkBritannia or on the collaborative Spotify playlist.