Help build the Ultimate Leonard Cohen Playlist
This week on Now Playing we are honouring a true wordsmith – Leonard Cohen – ahead of his exclusive interview with Jarvis Cocker this Sunday afternoon.
At 77-years of age Cohen is about to release his 12th studio album, Old Ideas - which is streaming in full over at the Guardian - and we want you to suggest tracks, compositions and anything else we can broadcast connected with the Canadian for this Friday’s show.
Part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he’s been described as the “highest and most influential echelon of songwriters” by Lou Reed – but what do you think has to be included in a playlist celebrating the great man?
* Some of his own music – from Songs from a Room to Songs From Love or Hate.
* Artists who have covered him such as Beth Orton, Rufus and Martha Wainwright or Jarvis Cocker himself?
* Related artists, from Janis Joplin to Phil Spector to Paul Simon and Judy Collins
* Other famed musicians who’ve crossed into poetry – or vice versa. Maybe Gil Scott-Heron?
* And of course the issue of whether we play Hallelujah – and if so, which version?
Let us know by leaving a comment here, joining in with the conversation on our Facebook page, Tweet us using #Cohen6Music, e-mail or add to our shared Spotify playlist.
And of course join us on Friday from 7pm and don’t forget to catch Leonard chatting to Jarvis on his Sunday Service from 4pm.