#PJ Harvey - Now Playing @6Music tracklist, September 9, 2011
This week the Mercury Music Prize has dominated the online music world, and in particular, PJ Harvey, who become the first person to pick up a second award with Let England Shake – a decade after her first win with Tales from the City, Tales from the Sea.
There’s been a lot of debate about who should’ve won but it seems Harvey’s victory has been largely well received and as a result, Peej is the basis of this evening’s playlist on Now Playing @6Music.
Also, we wrap up the rest of the week’s biggest online music stories including tracks from Justice and Noel Gallagher, and speak to bloggers My Band’s Better than Your Band and Cruel Rhythm.
PJ Harvey – The Words That Maketh Murder
* There are a lot of rumours Adele is in line to record the next James Bond theme – more at MTV.com.
* The Beatles greatest hits album, 1, is now available to download from iTunes and Apple are in talks with Aerosmith about selling their back-catalogue according to the New York Post.
* The latest Fact Mix is up – 280 comes from Swedish duo Air France.
* And the second track from Noel Gallagher’s debut album High Flying Birds has been gaining a lot of traction this week. Called AKA… What a Life, it’s up on a number of sites including Rock on the Streets.
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
* Various Artists - True Blood Volume 3 Soundtrack (Entertainment Weekly)
* Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Hysterical (3Voor12)
* Girls – Father, Son, Holy Ghost (Hypem)
* St Vincent – Strange Mercy (NPR)
* Laura Marling – A Creature I Don’t Know (Guardian)
#Blogging – Cruel Rhythm
Bondax – All I Want
FAMY - Arjun
HEALTH – Goth Star
#PJ Harvey related playlist part 1 – with suggestions from Facebook, Spotify, the blog and e-mail
PJ Harvey – This is Love
Marianne Faithfull – The Mystery of Love
Giant Sand – The Weight
Eels – Dog Faced Boy
The Desert Sessions – I Want to Make it With You
Sparklehorse – Piano Fire
* Freddie Mercury would have been 65 this week – check out the Google Doodle tribute, and the messages from musicians ranging from Gerard Way to Miss Piggy on Queen’s official YouTube channel.
* Los Campesinos have made their new track, By Your Hand, available to listen to – its up at Pitchfork.
* The Flaming Lips are planning another crazy stunt – this time they are set to record a six-hour song and you can pay $100 to have your name included. More at SKOA.
* The Guardian music pages are streaming Mogwai’s new EP, Earth Division, in full.
* M83’s Morgan Kibby has remixed Kevin Devine’s 11 17 under his The White Sea moniker – you can download it for free from Soundcloud.
* And Bon Iver recorded an acoustic version of Beth/Rest for NPR’s World Café – have a listen at Pigeons and Planes.
* All the performances from this week’s Mercury Prize ceremony are up on the 6 Music website.
* SBTRKT’s video for Pharaohs featuring Roses Gabor is up on YouTube.
* Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy has covered the Black Eyed Peas’ I Got a Feeling – watch here.
* The video for Battles featuring Gary Numan’s vocals on My Machines is also at The Fader.
* The title track from Justice’s new album, Audio, Video, Disco is now up on Daily Motion.
Aerosmith & Run DMC - Walk This Way
#Blogging – My Band’s Better Than Your Band
Outfit – Vehicles
Zulu Winter – Silver Tongue
Space Fight – 22
#PJ Harvey related playlist part 2 – with suggestions from Facebook, Spotify, Twitter, Text, the blog and e-mail
PJ Harvey – 50ft Queenie
Tricky & PJ Harvey – Broken Homes
Mark Lanegan & PJ Harvey – Hit the City
Nirvana – Come as You Are
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds ft. PJ Harvey, Kylie Minogue & Shane MacGowan – Death is Not the End
PJ Harvey ft, Thom Yorke - This Mess We're In
PJ Harvey – Sheela Na Gig