Now Playing @6Music tracklist August 26, 2011
Florence and the Machine returned this week with the first fruits from her sophomore album. Steve Lamacq had the world exclusive play of What the Water Gave Me on Tuesday afternoon, just before the track was uploaded to YouTube. Since then more than one million people have viewed it online.
Bombay Bicycle Club’s album was made available to stream on Spotify this week so we played one of the album tracks from that. And of course, how could we not play the collaboration between James Blake and Bon Iver – Fall Creek Boys Choir – to say that hasn’t been everywhere this week would simply be a lie!
The guest bloggers we have on this week come in the shape of The 405 and Beats and Beyond – frankly it was a pleasure having them and they picked some stonking tracks.
Florence and the Machine – A Kiss With a Fist
* The Weeknd has made the latest in his series of mixtapes available to download. Called Thursday you can get it from his official website.
* Steve Jobs has announced his resignation as CEO of Apple. He will hand control of the company over to Tim Cook with immediate effect, but will still remain as chairman of Apple’s board.
* Bjork will be recognised for her Outstanding Contribution to Music at the inaugural Independent Music Awards this November.
* And James Blake and Bon Iver released their collaboration, Fall Creek Boys Choir, onto YouTube.
Two Door Cinema Club – I Can Talk
#Now Streaming – See the blog
Bombay Bicycle Club – Your Eyes
#Blogging – The 405
Active Child – You Are All I See
Florence and the Machine inspired playlist part 1
Florence and the Machine – Cosmic Love
Candi Staton – You’ve Got the Love
Dark, Dark, Dark – Daydreaming
Ladyhawke – Back of the Van
Bat For Lashes – What’s a Girl to Do
Beirut – Postcards from Italy
*The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ new album, I’m With You, became the first LP ever to be made available to stream in full on iTunes. Out on Monday, the band will play a gig the following day which will be beamed live to cinemas across the world.
* New material from Horrors’ front man Faris Badwin’s side project Cat's Eyes emerged this week – head over to Pitchfork to have a listen to two new tracks.
* Details of Summer Camp’s fan funded (via Pledge Music) album, Welcome to Condale, are up at God is in the TV Zine.
* Tokyo Police Club have embarked on an ambitious new project which will see them cover ten songs from ten different years, and releasing one to a different blog every 24 hours. They’ve enlisted the help of M83’s Morgan Kibby for the first – Moby’s South Side’ from 2000 – which is now available now on Entertainment Weekly.
* Tom Waits’ has a new album called Bad As Me which will be released on October 25th – title track is up on YouTube.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Zero
* Wilco covering Nick Lowe’s I Love My Label is up now on YouTube.
* The trailer for Martin Scorsese’s two-part documentary on Geroge Harrison has been doing the rounds before airing in October.
* A video with OK Go and The Muppets – its going to be good isn’t it!! Check out The Muppets Theme Tune on YouTube now.
* The album came out this week and Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks also put out the video for No One Is (As I Are Be) on the New York Times website.
* DJ Shadow’s latest video for I’m Excited features Afrikan Boy on vocals while wearing a mixture of hospital, World War Two and bed-time attire. You can watch it now on YouTube.
#Blogging – Beats and Beyond
The Whip – Movement
Florence and the Machine inspired playlist part 2
The xx ft. Florence and the Machine - You've Got the Love
Gang Gang Dance - House Jam
Sukarita - Judy Tzuke
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of