Now Playing @6Music tracklist August 19, 2011
One of the biggest talking points online this week has been the new Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks album streaming on both The Guardian’s music site and NPR. Called Mirror Traffic the album is the first new material from Malkmus since 2008’s Real Emotional Trash.
We also look at the videos which have been streaming this week which included The Rapture's live listening party, and play some of the hottest new music around such as L-Vis 1990's Lost in Love. Blogs Oh Deary Me and The World's Greatest Music Blog pop by and recommend some music to us.
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Stick Fingers in Love
* “24th August 2011 - James Blake & Bon Iver "Fall Creek Boys Choir"” was the message posted on James Blake’s official Twitter – have the two collaborated?
* One thing which is certainly not going to happen, is the return of the original Black Sabbath line-up. Guitarist Tony Iommi was quoted on the Birmingham Mail’s website as saying Ozzy Osborne and co had been recording new material. Twitter caught hold of it and the story went round the world before Iommi quashed it by releasing a statement later the same day on his own website denying the report.
* Mute have uploaded the first single from Erasure’s forthcoming album, Tomorrow’s World to their Soundcloud account called When I Start To Break it All Down.
* L-Vis 1990’s latest track with Javeon McCarthy Lost in Love has been spread around blogs like wildfire – have a listen on YouTube.
#NowStreaming – check out the Now Streaming blog
MGMT – Time to Pretend
#Blogging – World’s Greatest Music Blog
Garth Brooks – The Dance
Wise Blood – Loud Mouths
Hall & Oates – When the Morning Comes
Stephen Malkmus Playlist Part 1
Pavement – Cut Your Hair
Yo La Tengo – Sugercube
Marble Valley – Triple-e
The Fall – LA
Black Heart Generator – Serpentine Pad
Beck – Everybody’s Got to Learn Sometime
Silver Jews – Smith & Jones Forever
* Sigur Ros released a mysterious video called Inni – a trailer for a new film which will be premiered at the Venice Film Festival, which begins later this month. As well as this, the band also announced they will be releasing a double live album featuring their 2008 show at Alexandra Palace.
* We also have a very special exclusive clip of the title track from Justice’s new album, Audio, Video, Disco – have a listen on our blog.
* A lost Neil Young cover by Dinosaur Jr. has found the light of day on Soundcloud.
* A track performed by Radiohead bassist Colin Greenwood, The Hot Rats and Feist has emerged on Soundcloud. The artists were all in Paris for a celebration of the Velvet Underground and performed their track Femme Fatale.
* And Everything Everything have made the demo version of MY KZ UR BF available as a free download from their Soundcloud page when it was called Airstrike on Your Forehead.
Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier
* A lost 12-minute Smiths documentary was uncovered with week and uploaded to YouTube.
* Ahead of their new album, The Hunter, metal group Mastodon have uploaded the video for new track Curl of the Burl onto YouTube.
* The Whip , Tim Burgess and Mike Joyce came together and performed the Buzzcock’s track, You Don’t Love Me.
* Gotye’s Somebody I Used to Know has become somewhat of an internet sensation. It has surpassed 2.1 million views on YouTube, been tweeted by top celebrities such as Lily Allen and Ashton Kutcher and was today perched on top of the Hypem buzz chart.
* The Rapture held the listening party for their new album In the Grace of Your Love live online. The band also fielded questions from fans on Twitter before the LP was played. If you missed it, don’t worry you might still be able to catch it on UStream.
#Blogging – Oh Deary Me
The Widowmaker - Black Monday
Rebekah Dobbins - Burn Your Houses Down
Oh Land – White Nights
Stephen Malkmus Playlist Part 2
Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
Pavement - The Classical
The Tindersticks - Here
The Wedding Present - Box Elder
Half Man Half Biscuit - Lark Descending
Echo and the Bunnymen - Killing Moon