Now Playing @6Music tracklist June 17, 2011
After years of Fragile Tension between members old and new, it seems all is now at ease on the Depeche Mode front, with the emerging revelation that Vince Clarke and Martin Gore have been working together on a new techno album.
The two were founding members of the Essex based group and Gore took over lead song writing duties from Clarke after he left the band in 1981, but revealed to Billboard how the two have been working on new material for about 9-months now.
We also round up what has been streaming online this week, the best of the new video footage uploaded onto the internet, and invite A New Band a Day and Breaking More Waves onto the show to let us know which artists have been getting them excited recently.
Depeche Mode – New Life
* Martin Gore revealed he and co-founding member of Depeche Mode Vince Clarke are making a new album together. Speaking to Billboard.com, Gore confirmed he had been in the studio together for the first time in three decades making an instrumental techno album.
* The Guardian has launched their history of modern music online. Looking at pivotal moments in rock, pop, dance, hip-hop and world music, each genre has an interactive time available on their website.
* Morrissey débuted three brand new tracks on BBC Radio 2 on Wednesday. In the same week the Queen Is Dead celebrated its 25th anniversary; you can hear the session and see videos over at the Radio 2 website
* Clap Your Hands Say Yeah returned this week announcing a brand new album, Hysterical, set for a September release. The first single - Same Mistake - is available as a free download.
#NowStreaming - get all of the week's streaming tips on our dedicated blog post.
YACHT – I Walked Alone
#Blogged – Breaking More Waves
Curxes – Creatures
Rizzle Kicks – Down with the Trumpets
Alice Jemima - Red Coat
The Strokes - Taken for a Fool
Depeche Mode related playlist part 1 - collated via Spotify, our Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Text and E-Mail as well as the DepecheMode.com forum.
Depeche Mode – Walking in My Shoes
The Normal – T.V.O.D
The Assembly – Never Never
Yazoo – Don’t Go
Depeche Mode – Photographic
Depeche Mode – Behind the Wheel (Vince Clarke Remix)
* The summer festival season is now in full swing and live performances from events across the world are available to stream online. AudioPerv have full sets from Tennasse’s Bonnaroo Festival including Arcade Fire and Mumford and Sons, whilst the Foo Fighters’ headline slot from last weekend’s Isle of Wight Festival is available on YouTube.
* The Kasier Chiefs have confirmed an official release date for their new album The Future is Medieval. The band, who made 20 tracks available online a fortnight ago in an innovative ‘make your own album’ experiment, will release a 12 track physical version on June 27.
* Glastonbury has all the set-times up for next week’s festival available online. Work out the clashes on their site.
* As we come to the half-way point of 2011, a number of sites have been compiling lists of their best albums of the year so far. NPR have put forward their 25, while a debate is raging on the Drowned in Sound boards over whether albums by Friendly Fires, Tom Vek, tUnE-YarDs and Radiohead make the cut.
* Cult power pop four piece Fountains of Wayne have announced details of a brand new album via Stereogum. Sky Full of Holes, will be released in UK on August 1 and you can download the first taster from it - Richie and Ruben - for free over at their official website.
Chad Valley - Now That I'm Real (How Does it Feel?) (Vimeo)
White Denim – Street Joy (Pitchfork TV)
#Blogged – A New Band a Day
Shells – Pastels
Gala Drop - Rauze
Tiger Cats - 1985
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Depeche Mode related playlist part 2 - collated via Spotify, our Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Text and E-Mail as well as the DepecheMode.com forum.
Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus
Depeche Mode - Master and Servents
Erasure - Sometimes
Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses
Dave Gahan - Hidden Houses
Recoil - Faith Healer
Depeche Mode - Useless (Kruder & Dorfmeister)