BBC BLOGS - Have Your Say
« Previous | Main | Next »

Should Bebo be shut down?

10:26 UK time, Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Internet company AOL has announced plans to sell or shut down the social networking site Bebo. What does this mean for social networking?

The company said it was unable to provide the "significant investment" Bebo needed to compete with its social networking rivals such as Facebook and MySpace. According to figures from research company ComScore, Bebo has 5.1 million users in the US compared with Facebook's 210 million users.

"AOL is committed to working quickly to determine if there are any interested parties for Bebo" Jon Brod of AOL Ventures told employees in an e-mail. AOL bought Bebo for $850m (£417m) two years ago but analysts expect the selling price to be significantly lower than this.

Do you use Bebo? What are the pros and cons of Bebo? Should Bebo be sold or shut down? Is there too much competition between social networking sites?

Click here if you have any other story ideas

This debate has now been closed. Thank you for your comments.

Comments

Page 1 of 2

  • Comment number 1.

    There will of course be the usual HYS whingers who bang on about the merits or lack thereof of social networking, what a waste of time, how it dumbs down society etc. However to take a stab at actually answering the question....

    I think it will be sad for those that use it and prefer it, however like all things related to the web and also non web related businesses there are generally a number of similar companies that spring up to fill a genre when one is created. When this happens eventually there will be winners and loosers, go back to search engines and the likes of Lycos, Alta Vista and Google eventually Google came out on top and it seems Facebook has done to Bebo what Google did to Alta Vista.

    A shame yes but not a surprise.

  • Comment number 2.

    Glad its going, I shut my bebo page down after only a couple of weeks as it seemed to be a haven for very strange people! Being harassed by unknown people for sexually explicit content is not my idea of fun. Its frightening to think children use it

  • Comment number 3.

    Too much competion? Considering the only real choice are Facebook & MySpace, I wouldn't say that is any competition.

    I doubt anyone will miss it.

  • Comment number 4.

    Too much time is spent on sites such as Bebo, Facebook and Twitter! It seems that one website is not enough for an individual and organisation. Even the BBC are guilty of this! I guess that most of the election campaigns will also be run on Social Networking sites! I cancelled my Bebo, Facebook and Twitter and feel mentally much better for it!

  • Comment number 5.

    Apart from the ability to set up hate campaigns and bullying with the people signing up to them having no idea what it is they're supporting, parents finding their homes have been vandalised after a party has been put on Facebook - do we REALLY need any of them? They have done a great deal of harm. They may keep people in touch but you can do that by email and text anyway. Do people using them have nothing better to do? REALLY?

  • Comment number 6.

    Our kids love it. But daughters favourite was 'There' but that suddenly closed down recently. Both kids love facebook. I havent been on any of them, give me Tkmax & eBay any day!

  • Comment number 7.

    Neber used it, never heard of it. Its part of AOL and as AOL don't give great service, bebas demise can only be a good thing.

  • Comment number 8.

    If you are already a member of one social networking site, why would you sign up to another? Its like having Sky and Virgin for TV at the same time.

  • Comment number 9.

    Of the two options:
    - sell or
    - shut down
    Bebo should be sold.
    Why?
    Because we don’t need anymore unemployed people, not even 40 of them.
    This was a risky venture from day one. The company never caught on in the US, though it did catch a little in the UK.
    There is a small gap because Bebo's fate will not be certain till end of May.
    The move also has something to do with the divorce between AOL and Time Warner. AOL seems to be venturing in a different way i.e. news, information, local and digital stuff.
    This is not the first shedding from AOL. Remember the sale of "Buy.at".
    Will very likely do something with its instant-messaging service ICQ too.

  • Comment number 10.

    Why?
    Why not?
    Who cares?

  • Comment number 11.

    Frankly who really cares apart from sad billy no mates...

  • Comment number 12.

    Seriously, who cares? There are far more important things going on in the UK and the world.

  • Comment number 13.

    This is exactly the same thing that will happen to Facebook and twitter in a few years. Anyone remember friendsreunited?

    None of these websites are of any practical use in the long run due to the fact that they die off after a few years when the next website becomes popular. i.e. friendsreunited, myspace, bebo, facebook and now twitter.

    All that people do on these websites is unwittingly provide market research data for commercial companies.

  • Comment number 14.

    Oh No You Cannot Shut Down Bebo! I have all my photo's saved to there that haven't been saved to My desktop! Using bebo is the best way to communicate with friends who dont have facebook or msn. :( Please Dont Shut Down Bebo!

  • Comment number 15.

    who cares?

  • Comment number 16.

    To be honest All of you who are glad bebo is shutting down must be mad! Think of the people who use it? It doesnt matter if you dont use it, i dont understand why you care! Just dont slag bebo off because the people who use it are sad to see it go. You adults Dont use Bebo like us kids.

  • Comment number 17.

    I don't have a bebo account and only recently got a Facebook one as a result of prompting and prodding by my sisters and nieces. Can't see a lot of point in them. If I want to talk to someone I would rather phone them as opposed to leaving messages that all and sundry can read.

    The only other use I might have is for holiday snaps, all in all I think the "social networking" sites are over rated, over blown and pretty much anti-social as it allows you to be bombarded by inane messages about fictional farms and photos of people you have never heard of and are unlikely to ever meet

  • Comment number 18.

    As someone who's child details were posted on Bebo to be humiliated by his bullies, I will be thrilled to see this site go. It is too easy to use Bebo to hurt others and it worries me how much information can be posted on this site by others without the owners permission.

  • Comment number 19.

    BEBO stands for Blog Early Blog Often.

    Ironically, there doesn't seem to be much blogging going on at it.

    And that's always been its problem -- it doesn't really know what it's all about, with its competitor sites being better at doing the kind of things its users try to do with it.

    If the site shuts down, the workers will be able to find work at other Web 2.0 start-ups, having the skills very much in demand for that industry.

    Let's not cry over spilt milk any longer.

    There are better things to worry about in this life, than a mere 'blogging' site on the interwebs.

  • Comment number 20.

    Before I Googled it, I`d never heard of Bebo.

  • Comment number 21.

    It's only going to be run if it's viable as a business.

    Unfortunately with everyone expecting everything on the Internet to be free, that means that the only way something like a social network website can be viable is if it has zillions of customers because advertising pays virtually nothing per customer.

    Just think, if each of those 5 million customers were willing to pay just £1 per year, that would pay £5M PA, which is easily enough to pay 40 people's salaries, plus all the server/Internet usage. But they won't pay that, and advertising income is much less than that per user, so it will probably close.

    Unfortunately, as long as people aren't willing to pay for things on the Internet, then things like Bebo (and probably Facebook etc in a few years) will die out after a while. People think it's great to have a company with millions of customers - but when those customers aren't paying anything, it's just a waste of time - eventually the people funding it work that out, and withdraw funding.

  • Comment number 22.

    Everyone uses facebook. Never heard of bebo. But why use a new site when everyone you know is on the main facebook one. You wouldn't have anyone to talk to except a bunch of strangers from the USA ! It's the same as using Google Chrome for your web browsing but having Firefox installed as well? Why? what's the point?

  • Comment number 23.

    It entertains me no end that the same people who write off social networks as just being for 'sad' people without real friends sit on a public forum under fake names giving their opinion. In fact, they're using a social network - but don't tell them! It might scare them off back into the 'real' world.

    I think Bebo is very tricky to monetise given its young user base, and in this economy ads and sponsored content are a very tough thing to base a business case on. Best case scenario it's sold and slowly absorbed into a rival network with minimal loss of jobs.

  • Comment number 24.

    Well, i have Bebo, Facebook and google mail. I do agree with the firm that Bebo isnt that great, but Bebo has lots of applications to make and play. i dont think bebo needs to shut down but i think over the few months they need to get permission to maybe copy some of the apps from facebook.I hope it doesnt shut down though
    Rachel
    x

  • Comment number 25.

    Maybe Bebo could become the very first Mutual Social Network if some of it's users have their way - https://www.savebebo.com/

  • Comment number 26.

    14. At 1:44pm on 07 Apr 2010, xBethx wrote:
    Oh No You Cannot Shut Down Bebo! I have all my photo's saved to there that haven't been saved to My desktop! Using bebo is the best way to communicate with friends who dont have facebook or msn. :( Please Dont Shut Down Bebo!

    Oh dear! You'd better save them elswhere! Try phoning the others. If they are real friends you will have their phone numbers!

  • Comment number 27.

    bebo was only ever used by teenagers and children anyway, and i guess the odd pedo.

    And those kids now all use facebook. It was a shrewd move by facebook actually because originally facebook was for over 18's and so those under 18 used bebo.

    Then facebook recinded the age requirment and now we see bebo has died. A deliberate ploy if you ask me.

  • Comment number 28.

    Maybe if they changed their name to wibble they might get more use from the blog freaks out there who feel they must tell the world about what they are doing every minute of the day.

  • Comment number 29.

    No big loss, Bebo is full of 12 year old chavs anyway.

    And that donation site is ridiculous, Bebo is easily worth a lot more than 1 million!, it's just a way for that site creator to make some money!!!

  • Comment number 30.

    I occasionally use Facebook, my daughter uses both Facebook and MSN. I do wonder how many of these sites we need and quite often feel a bit of a loser using it. To say it keeps you in contact with your friends is true and for those who live miles apart its great but one less site isn't going to cause a global catastrophe. Get a life!!! and that includes me !!

  • Comment number 31.

    You want to know what it means? Absolutely jack all!
    Do you know why? Because the great majority use facebook.

    People didn't miss Lycos and Alta Vista. People won't miss Bebo.

  • Comment number 32.

    Social interface and the internet are a great mix. Now that it is becoming a 'normal' phenomenon, how about people actually just speaking to each other, say at pubs, cafes, church halls, with bebo, twitter, facebook, etc., criteria being applied by greeting staff who explain that we do not actually need to depend on a keyboard to express ideas. In fact I'm off to the pub to try it....

  • Comment number 33.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 34.

    It doesn't really effect me personally, i once tried Bebo but found that there were a lot of dodgey people on there, the page design was awful and my close friends were all on facebook anyway

  • Comment number 35.

    14. "Oh No You Cannot Shut Down Bebo! I have all my photo's saved to there that haven't been saved to My desktop!"

    Why would you rely on a free service to save important information?

    If your photos are important to you, then put them somewhere you have control over, don't give them to total strangers who you have no contractual agreement with!

  • Comment number 36.

    I don't care. What is bebo anyway?

  • Comment number 37.

    To me "Bebo!" is a vocal exclamation used to surprise and frighten children. The whole idea of a networked website carrying and distributing the thoughts, fears and identities of so many young children certainly surprises and frightens me!

    Hosted by AOL, the original 'Granny-knows-best', most buttoned up and censorious of ISP's frightens me most of all.

    Let it go - I wouldn't want my kids, or anyone else's to have access to such a paedophile-attractive site.

  • Comment number 38.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 39.

    What is Bebo?

  • Comment number 40.

    @ ruffled_feathers

    You seem to have no clue about social networking. Yes facebook can be used by bullies, yes peoples houses have been wrecked by parties shown on facebook. Although cars have crashed into other cars because the driver wasn't paying attention. Do you blame the car or it's manufacturer? No you blame the driver, just like it's the people that use facebook to bully people or to organise mass parties.

    On top of which facebook has far many more applications. I use facebook to keep in contact with my friends whilst they are out of the country, because frankly i don't want to pay ridiculour fees, yes you can use e-mails but facebook is quick and easy. I also use facebook to organise trips/events. Facebook also allows you to get in touch with old friends. People who have lost phones can get numbers by creating a group. I can go on about the things you can do that are useful but maybe you should learn more about it before you go off on an ill informed tirade. Heck maybe even use it properly for a bit.

  • Comment number 41.

    Anyway more on topic, there is not much competition in terms of number of viable sites (facebook,myspace maybe twitter) but the competition is better (IMO) which makes BEBO redundant. If it is shut down people with just migrate to the alternatives, it won't make much of a difference.

  • Comment number 42.

    Not surprised to hear this news. My friends and I used to use Bebo 4-5 years ago when Facebook had its age limitation in place, but since that disappeared and we all went to university Facebook has become the norm and most of us have cancelled our bebo accounts.

    I agree with the comments about the Google/Lycos/Alta Vista war, this seems very similar and I think the market has found its standard, at least in the UK as it seems Myspace has all but died out, save for bands' pages.

    And to comments suggesting we Facebook users get lives, I am amazed at your ignorance. To think that (most) young people have used Facebook as a substitute for phoning/texting/seeing each other in person is a joke, and they need to educate themselves before making embarrassing comments about a subject they clearly don't know much about.

  • Comment number 43.

    NO BEBO SHUDNY BE SHUT DOWN !!!

  • Comment number 44.

    PLZZZZ DONT SHUT DWN BEBO x

  • Comment number 45.

    44. At 4:36pm on 07 Apr 2010, zoe wrote:

    PLZZZZ DONT SHUT DWN BEBO x
    --------------

    Don't ever use a computer again, thank you.

  • Comment number 46.

    Freedom & choice, lol.

    The internet is turning into a powerful tool which actually drives down competition and creates enhanced corporate and institutional control.

    Even Ebay is now degrading and undermining the many many millions of individual users and 100s of thousands of new businesses that made Ebay what it is in preference for corporate retail businesses.

    Take a look at many of the newer smaller businesses on Ebay and you will find that most have much more impressive customer service and standards than many of the biggest corporate sellers who are solely advantaged by sales volumes. Say for every 3000 to 4000 sales a smaller business may have zero or 1 or 2 negatives, the bigger businesses can have 5 to 15 and STILL receive better discounts and visability position than the smaller BETTER businesses who are punished for smaller volume sales.

    The internet is turning into a corporate mafia, even Google tried to take over and control the WHOLE worlds access to online books and information.

    Smaller networking sites and other smaller internet services are massively important in the long term.

    Look at the way big business has destroyed small shops, small businesses in UK, then look at the way these huge businesses have undermined suppliers and farmers/producers so they can MAXIMISE profits. Its no different than how Google, or Ebay/Paypal or Facebook is behaving on the internet.

    I wonder how many people actually read the lengthy and complicated terms and conditions when they join these sites, very few, hence most just have NO understanding of what powers they are handing to these corporates in selling every bit of information they can accumulate about those registered with them.

    Some sites you CANT even close your account, it can be pretentiously "de-activated" but iyour account is still open and hence your personal information can be sold to whoever for infinity. It is also a useful situation for these corporates to include TOTAL account numbers they have registered so they can maximise sales to advertisers, even tho as much as 25% + of registered accounts may be dormant & not even been used for 5 years or more.

    Hence, I think Bebo & other smaller internet service providers are doubly important and should as much as possible be allowed to continue at lower profit generations as long as they can provide a minimal acceptable return for the money invested and needed to maintain them, just the same as any business.

    Thing is, such small businesses can do deals so they get paid off to close, handing the big corporates with total dominance, again, not much differnt to UK retail and corners shops etc.

  • Comment number 47.

    "
    14. At 1:44pm on 07 Apr 2010, xBethx wrote:

    Oh No You Cannot Shut Down Bebo! I have all my photo's saved to there that haven't been saved to My desktop!
    "

    Unbelievable, truly unbelievable. I weep for the future of mankind.

  • Comment number 48.

    ALot Of Bebo App Users Spend Money On Games This Would Cause Serious PRoblems.

  • Comment number 49.

    I worry about these so called 'social networking' sites, they do seem to attract an amazing assortment of the daft, demented and, in some cases, downright criminally dangerous.I realise that there are probably going to be howls of outrage about my comments, but can you SERIOUSLY defend an internet access portal that is frequently used by sexual predators to seek out and groom victims? (& I don't mean just kids)- if they shut down all of these types of site tomorrow, in my book, it wouldn't be soon enough!!!!

  • Comment number 50.

    With the greatest of respect to people who use and enjoy it, I have to think "who cares". Living in a world of fast-paced innovation, and transient "social" things, we will be perpetually looking for the next new thing especially if it seems "cool". In every generation of net-based tech there will be one or two "stand-out" ideas. As with VHS/Betamax, BluRay/DVDHD, Google/All 90s search engines, Curry&Chips/Pousin in a coulis, even (for oldies) Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks.

    There's always something (no matter if it's better) that wins the day. So if Bebo has to go, so be it.

  • Comment number 51.

    48. At 5:12pm on 07 Apr 2010, BBEO CUSTUMER wrote:

    ALot Of Bebo App Users Spend Money On Games This Would Cause Serious PRoblems.

    -----


    Are you serious, or are you trolling ? ...

  • Comment number 52.

    Seeing that Bebo has lost out to Facebook and Myspace, there is little point keeping it on the web

  • Comment number 53.

    Why shut down Bebo i am not a teenager and my friends i have on Bebo are not teenagers i have been with Bebo sincce it sarted and i have never had queer ppl comming on to my page as some ppl have metioned .I had an account with Facebook and i think its the worst site going was only on for a few hrs and someone was asking all sorts of questions no wonder the young ones like facebook at least with Bebo if u make a complaint its dealt with right away and that person page is deleted just read the news on facebook enough said on that one.I like bebo u can make ur page ur own do ur own skins . i think they should get someone too buy Bebo and save the ppl jobs and keep the site going

  • Comment number 54.

    Not all websites can expect to satisfy every single person's needs. Bebo is unlike Facebook as it allows the user to express themselves more, creating their own "skins" to decorate their profile as they wish, among other options to create a page which suits the user's personality.

    Personally, I use Facebook to keep in touch with "real-life" friends & use Bebo to socialise with friends I have made online over the years.

    I agree that Bebo is generally used by younger people, but it does allow those who are too young to use Facebook to still be able to join a social networking website which is perhaps more suitable for their age group.

    If I were a parent, I would not particularly want my child to join Facebook, where they are exposed to countless numbers of groups involving serious political debates alongside explicit sexual content etc.

    Bebo has a straight forward & easy-to-use system of reporting abuse & in my experience it is much "cleaner" & suitable for younger users.

    Please do not get rid of Bebo. The kids NEED you!!!

  • Comment number 55.

    To all those criticizing Bebo, Facebook etc, can I ask one question? Have you ever tried them ? if not, you have no right to make rude comments - and there are many of them, about folk like myself who do use them. There are lots' of things in life that I disagree with, but that does not give me the right to slag them off. If you do not like a thing, keep quiet and let those who do enjoy it get on with it.

  • Comment number 56.

    hello their u canni shut bebo down becouse their is lots of ppl that r on it and im one of them ppl u get to know ppl on it and u can have ur family and friends on it its the best network page and i will be upset if u shut it down and that becouse then i will not have all ma mate's that r on it and i have got facebook and netlog and i dont like the other one's but bebo is ma best one i have becouse im goin to delete the other one's becouse i like bebo and if i could buy bebo i would from samantha x

  • Comment number 57.

    Lots of other social networking sites have already either fallen by the wayside because they can't compete with Facebook, or have faded into relative obscurity. Even the site that started it all, MySpace, is losing momentum. It's no real surprise because while there's no cost in monetary terms to use any of these sites, the time cost is substantial. A lot of people increasingly prefer to just have one site and be done with it and Facebook looks like being (other than Twitter which is a completely different concept) the last man standing.

  • Comment number 58.

    don't use it, so I don't actually care.

  • Comment number 59.

    "51. At 5:28pm on 07 Apr 2010, anonymous_uk wrote:

    48. At 5:12pm on 07 Apr 2010, BBEO CUSTUMER wrote:

    ALot Of Bebo App Users Spend Money On Games This Would Cause Serious PRoblems.

    -----


    Are you serious, or are you trolling ? ...

    "

    Yes, lots of people use online browser based games and spend or "invest" money.

  • Comment number 60.

    If Bebo shuts down ill be Sad but ill move to Myspace instead,
    or else create my own Social Network, Love bebo but if Aol Cant sort this Out then i guess i have to find another Social Network,

  • Comment number 61.

    56. At 6:30pm on 07 Apr 2010, samantha wrote:

    hello their u canni shut bebo down becouse their is lots of ppl that r on it and im one of them ppl u get to know ppl on it and u can have ur family and friends on it its the best network page and i will be upset if u shut it down and that becouse then i will not have all ma mate's that r on it and i have got facebook and netlog and i dont like the other one's but bebo is ma best one i have becouse im goin to delete the other one's becouse i like bebo and if i could buy bebo i would from samantha x

    -----------------------------------


    Please please please go back to school! This is the internet, we type properly!!!

  • Comment number 62.

    I dont think they can shut down bebo because i use it all the time and its alot better than myspace and all they other different social networking site

  • Comment number 63.

    Just to clarify a few things to the Daily Mail readers on here...

    I have not personally used Bebo but I do use Facebook and other social networking tools and, yes, they are another way of communicating with people that can be time-wasting.

    However, this whole concept of criminals and predators inhabiting these sites is utter, utter nonsense. On all of the sites I have used, you have the choice to either allow someone to communicate with you or to not communicate with you; you can even totally block people if you wish.

    So if there *ARE* kids online who are being preyed upon then, yes, it's right for law enforcement to step in and do something about it. But the fact is that parents have a duty to watch what their kids are doing online, to spend time learning how these tools to work and how to block certain people because it's fairly *EASY* to do.

    Whether you chat to someone online, read an email from someone or accept a file or attachment from them, there is *ONE* very simple rule to follow - DO NOT DO SO UNLESS YOU CLEARLY KNOW THE PERSON COMMUNICATING WITH YOU!!!

    It really is that simple and very easy to blame the tools as the cause of the problem, when in reality it is uninformed users.

  • Comment number 64.

    Just love it...

    Is samantha (#56) the immortal I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue scorer?
    Does she contribute to the hilarious Private Eye regular feature "From The Message Boards"?

    You just gotta 'ave a larf...

    Forget E J Thribb (aged seventeen and three-quarters), just think, folks, the likes of Bebo have given us a reason to express IQ scores in decimals!

  • Comment number 65.

    Shutting down Bebo is a bad idea, because some people depend on it for their social life. For example, Facebook is mostly used for friends from school, family members, etc. If Bebo is shut down, the "famous" online population will get tons of friends, whom they might not want on their list. Which will most likely result in deleting ALL their accounts from the online services. There are also the "fakers" of the internet world. If the real identity account is deleted, nobody will know who's who - and if they are even real.

    I have Bebo, Facebook and Myspace - but I use Bebo the most out of the three. Why? Because it lets you express yourself by making skins, editing your profile, polls, blogs, groups, etc. On Facebook(and Myspace) you can't do neither of those. Yeah, you can join fan pages, or groups - but there isn't any way to express yourself. With Myspace, it isn't fun. You select a layout, add images to your profile and that's it really.

    I wouldn't delete Bebo. There may be less people on it than Facebook, but that's because Facebook is new. Bebo has been there a long time, and it's a fun way to socialize with friends all over the world. If Bebo was gone, I would be upset. I don't mind people adding me over on Bebo, but if random people started to add me on Facebook - I sure wouldn't want to have my contact information available for everybody.

  • Comment number 66.

    hey.. i use bebo everyday and i really dont want it to close down. its the only way i can keep in contact with quite alot of my friends. they dont have facebook and they dont want a facebook either but i know alot of people who dont want bebo to close down. we love it... you can do so much more on bebo than you can on facebook. bebo is just so much better than facebook and its easier aswell. i think bebo is so much more creative. i dont want bebo to close down to be honest i wouldnt know what to do with my time if it did haha. this comment isnt gonna change the fact that its closing down i just thought id give my view on it. x

  • Comment number 67.

    What is Bebo?

  • Comment number 68.

    6. At 12:28pm on 07 Apr 2010, EBAYTKMAX wrote:

    Our kids love it. But daughters favourite was 'There' but that suddenly closed down recently. Both kids love facebook. I havent been on any of them, give me Tkmax & eBay any day!

    *******************************************

    Hope you keep an eye on who your daughters share with? I don't mean that as a dig honest. , but some of my family use it, and have been really shocked at the language, etc. used by younger family members! What's really stupid is, the young ones' made the older ones "friends" So old auntie Fannie is reading what teenage niece/neph is sharing with their peers!!! Bit of an eye opener!
    I am not on any of them - email, telephone suit my purpose, and I actually enjoy chatting with live people, standing/sitting in front of me!!!!
    But, whatever floats your boat..... - sorry for those who will lose their service.

  • Comment number 69.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 70.

    xBethx wrote:
    "Oh No You Cannot Shut Down Bebo! I have all my photo's saved to there that haven't been saved to My desktop! Using bebo is the best way to communicate with friends who dont have facebook or msn. :( Please Dont Shut Down Bebo!"

    Why trust a company with your photos? Isn't this just asking for trouble?

  • Comment number 71.

    can i just say i dont get how people can write comments about how bebo is just full of 'pedos' and such like that its not true. you can set your profile to private and you have to accept every person who tries to add you so if people are gettin harassed then its thier own fault for accepting... bebo is the best networking site at the moment. facebook isnt very goof to be honest, yes you can find people you went to school with and stuff but that about it... you doint get alot of games it just farmville and cafeworld... i mean c'mon they are boring :S ... i have facebook but i never use it... i just dont know how to delete it ... where as with bebo you can delete your profile and you have so much more privacy. if it comes down to it im sure alot of people would be willing to pay a small amount a year to use it! but i dont think bebo should go! too many people love it!! id be pretty upset if it closed down :( ... SAVE BEBO!!!!!! x

  • Comment number 72.

    Tbqh., personally I don't think that bebo should go. As some people are awear, bebo is used by many for a thing called 'roleplay'. Some think it's pointless ( mostly because they don't fully understand the term bebo roleplay ) and it's used as a get away from some real life problems and issues. I know this because thts why I roleplay. If it wasn't for roleplay I'd probly not be here today ( sadly enough :/ ) Bebo roleplay is something I look forward to doing and when I'm on it ( as well as when many roleplayers are online ) it takesthem away from their real life's, and let's them be someone that they really want to be.
    Sure, I don't expect this one comment about bebo helping some people to be the reason that bebo is kept, o just hope it's something that people keep in their minds. Bebo's one of 3 well used social networking websites. Its a safe website ( some can say it's safer than facebook and myspace ) it's still used today even though it may not be used by as many people as before. But it is still a well used, well known website!
    Sorry for the rambling, I just kinda needed to get all that out :/

  • Comment number 73.

    clovisguy wrote:
    "To all those criticizing Bebo, Facebook etc, can I ask one question? Have you ever tried them ? if not, you have no right to make rude comments - and there are many of them, about folk like myself who do use them. There are lots' of things in life that I disagree with, but that does not give me the right to slag them off. If you do not like a thing, keep quiet and let those who do enjoy it get on with it."

    Like MORRIS DANCING?

    Why would I "try" Facebook? Give my personal details to some snarky Neocons so I can be used as a commodity? No. And, clovisguy, I have every right to comment on those who do: I even have the right to say a classmate from primary school has put so much personal information on one of these sites that I think she is at risk of identity theft. I could even contact her to tell her this but it feels stalkerish.

  • Comment number 74.

    personally i think everyone who wants bebo to stay should make an online petition a(dont know if thats the right spelling LOL) but i think thats what we should do and we can try get everyone to sign it to see if that will maybe help it stay opened? ... im sure alot of people i know would sign it so maybe all your friends and family can sign it too?... its worth a shot... maybe!... i just really dont want bebo to shut down :'( :'( x

  • Comment number 75.

    I really hope they do not shut bebo down. I am on it quite a lote and it is a great way to keep in contact with friends both old and new as well as family.

  • Comment number 76.

    I fear for those who run their lives via a social network site. They are missing so much from life by denying themselves face to face contact. Even speaking to friends and relatives on the phone is better than clattering away to a faceless screen. At least you can tell by someone's face or voice how they are feeling when they contact you.
    I know of cases where FaceBook has split families and devastated lives so am very wary of it.

  • Comment number 77.

    Tony wrote: Neber used it, never heard of it. Its part of AOL and as AOL don't give great service, bebas demise can only be a good thing.

    So, what you're saying is that you're in absolutely no position to comment?

    Why do people like this bother posting?

  • Comment number 78.

    Andrew Lye wrote: What is Bebo?

    For goodness sake - do some research and stop wasting everyone's time by posting pointless comments.

  • Comment number 79.

    Bill Baur wrote: What is Bebo?

    You've got access to the internet - use it (instead of posting meaningless comments)

  • Comment number 80.

    I once had an account on a similar networking site: Hi5. I shut it down, because it creeped me out. This is because I received phone numbers and weird messages from men I did not know, all claiming to be romantically inclined. I had my privacy settings on the maximum. Facebook is better, but we will see how long they hold out until they start selling our details to advertising companies.

  • Comment number 81.

    I THINK ITS OUT OF ORDER AND TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH CLOSING BEBO DOWN' I USE BEBO EVRYDAY AND HAV ALOT OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS WHO USE IT ASWELL DAILY, I WOULD B VERY DIAPOINTED IF IT GETS SHUT DOWN-IF IT WASNT 4 BEBO I WOULDNT NO WAT 2 DO WITH MYSELF, LOL I HAV FOUND ALOT OF FRIENDS I AHVNT SEEN 4 YRS ON BEBO AND CATCH UP WITH THEM REGULARLY AW THANKS 2 BEBO' SAME AS 2 FAMILY I HAVNT SEEN 4 YRS AND STAY FAR AWAY 4 ME 2 VISIT SO I JUS CHAT 2 THEM ON BEBO ASWELL. I DNT JUS CHAT ON BEBO I PLAY MINIPLANET APPLICATION EVRYDAY + NIGHT SO DO MOST OF MY FAMILY INCLUDING MY MOTHER WHO IS IN HER 60'S AND DOESNT GO OUT MUCH, WE WOULD ALL B LOST WITHOUT BEBO AS WE DONT LIKE FACEBOOK AT ALL-PLEASE DONT CLOSE DOWN BEBO..

  • Comment number 82.

    i think it really is sad that bebo is closing down
    its not fair to the ones who love bebo, use it regularly and more than facebook who personally i prefer it, its ten times easier to use than facebook and has alot more features than facebook does
    its just not fair that the better social networking site is being taken away, just because thits rival is making more profit, bebo is more popular in scotland than facebook is, now because facebook's making more money we need to convert, bebo is more popular for the younger generation like me.
    it really is a shame

  • Comment number 83.

    I am one of the many Members of Bebo, and i have found the site very creative and user friendly. For members can customize there pages to suite there personality, for i love this site and have made many new friends that facebook could not provide.

    For this issue has brought tears and great sorrow to many Bebo members whom have been apart of bebo for years. And i like others members whom can not stand up and speak wish for the to be heard, that we dont want this place to go, for the popular sites as facebook and myspace do not meet our needs that bebo meets to. People will lose contacts with friends and can not coupe with other social sites. We bebo members demand that bebo stays, for AOL will not be well popular after this, already members that have not been heard are cursing AOL for this.

  • Comment number 84.

    i think bebo shoudnt be shut down i realy like bebo i am on it everyday all day ive met some amasein people on there & i wouldnt like to lose contract with them either i think you should keep it open pleasee

  • Comment number 85.

    annmariemcmansu

    ----------------

    Really, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself if Bebo shutdown? Wow, you really need to get a life!!!! Also stop SHOUTING!

  • Comment number 86.

    Repeat after me. Bebo isn't real. Bebo isn't real. Bebo isn't real.

  • Comment number 87.

    Will there be a collective 'gasp' when it's switched off?

  • Comment number 88.

    ianthegeek wrote:

    "... the merits or lack thereof of social networking, what a waste of time, how it dumbs down society etc. ..."

    Thanks a lot for putting the arguments against what is fatuously known as "social networking" to the more trivial, jargon-obsessed end of our culture. To those who can't survive without these facilities, don't despair - the market will decide. If Bebo has enough users to compete with Faceless and Mylies, it will find a buyer. If not, then at least you've learnt a valuable lesson - your time-wasting fantasies make a lot of money for the owners of these things and they couldn't care less about your needs. Go out and meet people - it's actually a lot of fun and it puts you in charge!

  • Comment number 89.

    Alta Vista gets rolled by Google, Bebo gets rolled by facebook, facebook gets rolled by whatever the latest waste of time fad is in a few years. Who cares?

  • Comment number 90.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 91.

    There are many things in this world we need to worry about but, with the glut of social networking sites, the loss of bebo is hardly worth getting upset about. The people that use it will either move to other sites or, if already members (as most are), they will utilise their other network accounts more. It's hardly the end of the world as we know it, is it?

  • Comment number 92.

    77. At 11:59pm on 07 Apr 2010, luskentyre wrote:

    Tony wrote: Neber used it, never heard of it. Its part of AOL and as AOL don't give great service, bebas demise can only be a good thing.

    So, what you're saying is that you're in absolutely no position to comment?

    Why do people like this bother posting?


    Well, I commented because the BBC asked my opinion ...and I gave it. What is the problem with that? Or is it that you think that you are only qualified to dictate to people when they should post comments. Don't be so up yourself.
    Oh, and I am in a position to comment about it as I have used AOL services before and found them to be...well rubbish to put it politely.

  • Comment number 93.

    "Should Bebo be shut-down"

    For a moment I misread this and my eyes lit up.... then I came back down to earth with a bump.

  • Comment number 94.

    I think these social network sites are very dangerous. They have caused numerous rifts and rows - my own two children arent speaking because of things posted on them. Why would you want to share everything with strangers. People have literally hundreds of "friends" on them. They arent real friends - just people they know of. Why would you want them to see you and your family in detail. Why would you want to tell them about your children and their activities. Or the fact that you have moved house or any personal details. If you want to tell your real friends, you will have their email or phone numbers. To be honest, I think they should all be closed down. Very dangerous.

  • Comment number 95.

    All these sites are a terrible waste of peoples time.

    Why don't you just switch of the computer and go do something better instead???????

  • Comment number 96.

    I strongly belive that there is a link between Bebo and young people suicides. If you look at the cluster of suicides in Ayrshire, Wales and Northern Ireland then means of these young people communicating with each other is via social networking sites such as Bebo. The geography of where people live doesn't add up otherwise. When a Bebo user does unfortunately committ suicide, for whatever reason, the site is full of tributes and condolences. It is like a shrine or like martyrdom.
    Young people are under immense peer pressure with their private lives on display whether they like it or not. This is 24hrs a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. Unfortunately Bebo and sites like it add to this. They are generally used properly and responsibly however too many young peoples lives are being ruined and its not worth it.

  • Comment number 97.

    More edvidence, as if any more were needed, of overpaid incompent senior managers wasting their shareholders money. Those who bought it in the first place need to be sacked, given the money they will loose.

    Yes Bebo should be sold to support the jobs of its employees. Why not offer to sell it to the users as the first internet coop but surely that would not work.

    Better maybe to create Bebo as an "open" system from Mozilla (Firefox creator) as a bulwalk to the economic interests of News Internations, owners of Myspace, and the corporate that will take over Facebook.

  • Comment number 98.

    Interesting how the majority of posters on HYS who want to save Bebo
    a. Cannot spell
    b. Have appalling grammer
    c. Put kisses in their posts

    xx

  • Comment number 99.

    Internet facilities come and go, its just the way things are. Bebo, if closed, will be replaced by something new and Facebook and Myspace will mop up the rest. Its not a big deal unless you have no other means of social interaction or have saved all your precious pictures on the internet with no backups (after all these years have people failed to learn to back up their work?) If it is your only means for social interaction then before the site closes discuss with your mates which other social network you are joining, if you've not backed up your photos do it now!

    I do dispute this idea that people who use social networks should "get a life". Before the days of social networks I used chatrooms as my only means of socialisation due to anxiety and depression and these were a lifeline for me so I can understand why some people would feel like the internet was their only means of communication. Despite what other may think the internet does allow you to make friends (good friends) with people you would never have met otherwise. Social networks are an extension of the chatroom and the ability and desire to talk to people on the other side of the world is here to stay, with or without Bebos presence.

  • Comment number 100.

    If you know nothing of Bebo then why post puny little comments which don't matter? I myself use Bebo and I much prefer it then Facebook, Myspace and Twitter. I would indeed be sad if Bebo were to go, I practically used Bebo since the start and not once have I got bored of it. And to be honest there are groups being made to save Bebo, but does anyone bother reading them? No they don't. I know a lot of people from around the world who use Bebo, so why shut it down if it's more preferable than Facebook? AOL are making a scene about this, Bebo gets sold approximately every 2 years; happened in '08. When Bebo was still original in '08 it didn't lack members, but as soon as AOL bought it, they started to make changes so it would be something similar to Facebook, why? Facebook is Bebo's rival! You don't exactly make it similar, people are bored of the same design, of course it's going to lack members, it's AOL's own fault. Why not ask Bebo members, huh? Contact them, asking for their votes on what changes can be made. To be honest, AOL has gone low, pretty low. The only thing AOL can handle is the TalkTalk.

 

Page 1 of 2

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.