R&DTV: Episode 2
Today we're launching the second pilot for R&DTV, we're really excited as we have learnt so much from working on the first episode and from the feedback we received from you all. We feel that we've improved on a lot of areas and await your feedback again.
This episode includes motion graphics, music, subtitles and we've improved the sound. It features our intrepid trip to the UK's first Maker Faire in Newcastle, David Kirby on the BBC R&D Ingex project and interviews from Matt Biddulph CTO of Dopplr and Jason Calacanis CEO of Mahalo.com.
If you missed the first episode, R&DTV is a pilot show, designed to be shareable, remix-able and redistribution. It was built for the internet era and we release all the assets which make up the show under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license. The show its self, features interesting tech stories inside and outside the BBC. We're also looking at how we distribute content in various encoding methods and formats.
We've deliberately taken a 'different' approach to creating the content, one which doesn't include working in a studio or with elaborate production methods to show that you can do create interviews inexpensively and with off the shelf kit. There's a emphases on this being something you can do.
R&DTV is a collaboration between BBC Backstage and RAD teams, who are: Producers Rain Ashford and Hemmy Cho, as well as Exec Producers: Ian Forrester, George Wright and Adrian Woolard.
So this is how you can enjoy R&DTV:
1. A brief 5 minute video, containing all the very best bits
2. A longer 30 minute video, containing deeper conversations
3. The Asset Bundle, containing everything we used and didn't use to make the video edits
Where you can find Episode 2 of R&DTV:
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 5 minute cut in Flash format (45.3 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 5 minute cut in Quicktime format (104.2 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 5 minute cut in Ogg Theora format (29.2 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 5 minute cut in Matroska format (40.1 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 5 minute cut in AVI format (40.4 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 5 minute cut in MP4 format (26.0 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 30 minute cut in Flash format (266.7 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 30 minute cut in Quicktime format (655.8 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 30 minute cut in Ogg Theora format (155.0 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 30 minute cut in Matroska format (242.5 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 30 minute cut in AVI format (244.5 MB)
- R&D TV: Episode 2 - the 30 minute cut in MP4 format (170.5 MB)
We would like to thank everyone who contributed to this episode: Gids Goldberg for the subtitles, Tom Barton for the music, Alia Sheikh, Ant Miller, Cy Thompson & Andy Gibb for Maker Faire, Frank Considine for filming at FOWA, David Allen for Eastenders VT, Theo Jones & Pete Warren for titles, Ciaran Anscomb for tech support and not least Malcolm Warren who was Editor.
Don't forget we'd love to see anything you've created with the assets and please do give us your feedback, both here on the blog or email rdtv [at] bbc.co.uk.