Day 243: Nanmadol moves towards China and Katia intensifies over Atlantic
Distance travelled ~ 623'796'800 km
• In the UK weather conditions are expected to be fairly quiet through much of this week, with relatively light winds and rather cloudy skies.
• Over the Pacific Ocean Typhoon Nanmadol now close to Southern Taiwan and moving slowly north westwards towards China, where it is likely to produce very heavy rainfall in the far south east of China today.
• Also over the Pacific Ocean, Tropical Storm Talas has been moving slowly northwards towards Japan. See relevant advisories for latest information
• Another Tropical Storm has been developing over the waters of the equatorial Atlantic and been named Katia yesterday. Current forecasts expect the storm to become a hurricane later today.
Other developments around the World:
• Potential for heavy thundery rain in parts of Portugal and western Spain on Thursday and Friday.
• Wet at times over the next few days over Uruguay and southern Brazil, then much colder conditions moving north to these areas later in the week with possible frost risk.
• Unusually warm or hot in parts of south and south west Australia later in the week.
• Unusually cool, looking wet and windy across northern Iran extending south across much of the country next few days.