Who was Mary Seacole?
This is Mary Seacole.
She lived an exciting life, travelling to many different countries and helping soldiers in war.
Find out more about her, below.
- When Mary Seacole died in 1881, her story was forgotten. But today, Mary Seacole is very well known.
- She was brave and very determined.
- She went to a battlefield to help soldiers. She looked after them in her ‘hotel’. This wasn't like a hotel you would stay in on your holidays. It was just a hut made from metal.
Do you remember what happened in Mary Seacole's life? Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- People wrote that Mary would go right onto the battlefield to help the soldiers. She had two mules. One carried medicines and the other food and wine.
- The soldiers liked Mary so much that they called her ‘Mother Seacole’.
- Mary loved to travel. When she was a teenager, she took two trips to England. That's a long journey - over 7000 km!