Who was Dr. Martin Luther King?
This is Dr. Martin Luther King.
He lived over 60 years ago, and led the fight for equal rights for black people in America.
Find out more about him, below.
- Dr. Martin Luther King didn’t believe in using violence to change things. Instead, he gave powerful speeches and led peaceful protests.
- Even so, he was arrested and sent to prison 29 times.
- He never gave up the fight for equal rights, and made a real difference.
Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- When Dr. Martin Luther King was only six years old, he wasn’t allowed to play with his white friend. This made him very sad.
- Dr. King was very clever. He skipped two years of school and went to university when he was 15.
- In America there is a holiday called Martin Luther King Day. It takes place on a Monday close to his birthday - January 15.