Who was Dr. Martin Luther King?
This is Dr. Martin Luther King.
- He lived over 60 years ago, and led the fight for equal rights for black people in America.
Find out more about him, below.
- Dr. Martin Luther King didn’t believe in using violence to change things. Instead, he gave powerful speeches and led peaceful protests.
- Even so, he was arrested and sent to prison 29 times.
- He never gave up the fight for equal rights, and made a real difference.
Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- When Dr. Martin Luther King was only six years old, he wasn’t allowed to play with his white friend. This made him very sad.
- Dr. King was very clever. He skipped two years of school and went to university when he was 15.
- In America there is a holiday called Martin Luther King Day. It takes place on a Monday close to his birthday - January 15.