Who was Rosa Parks?
This is Rosa Parks.
In 1955, she refused to give up her seat on a bus for a white person. Her actions changed American history forever.
Find out more about her life, below.
- In 1950s America black people were treated unfairly. One person who tried to change this was Rosa Parks.
- On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks was tired of having to give up her bus seat and she said “No” to a white person.
- This started the Montgomery bus boycott.
Do you remember what happened to Rosa Parks? Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- The bus boycott was only meant to last for one day. In the end it lasted over a year, until the law was changed.
- Rosa’s job was sewing and making clothes. She worked in a shop, but after her arrest she lost her job as a seamstress.
- Rosa had to move away to a new city to find work. She lived in Detroit for the rest of her life, which was very far from Montgomery.