How to find the mean, median, mode and range
The median is the middle value.
- To find the median, order the numbers and see which one is in the middle of the list.
- Eg 3, 3, 6, 13, 100 = 6
- The median is 6.
If there are two middle values the median is halfway between them. This might not be a whole number.
The mode is the number that appears the most.
- To find the mode, order the numbers lowest to highest and see which number appears the most often.
- Eg 3, 3, 6, 13, 100 = 3
- The mode is 3.
The mean is the total of the numbers divided by how many numbers there are.
- To find the mean, add all the numbers together then divide by the number of numbers.
- Eg 6 + 3 + 100 + 3 + 13 = 125 ÷ 5 = 25
- The mean is 25.
The mean is not always a whole number.
The range is the difference between the biggest and the smallest number.
- To find the range, subtract the lowest number from the biggest number.
- Eg 100 - 3 = 97
- The range is 97.