How do I use grid references on a map?
What is a grid reference?
A grid reference tells you where something is on a map.
There are two parts to a grid reference:
- The 1st letter or number tells you how far across the map something is.
- The 2nd letter or number tells you how far up the map something is.
How do you find grid reference D2?
Here's one way to do it:
- First go across the way until you get to D.
- Then go up the way until you get to 2.
Here's another way:
- Go along the bottom with your finger until you get to D.
- Go up the side with your other finger until you get to 2.
- Move one finger across and one finger up until they meet.
Both ways have found D2.