Who was Charles Dickens?
This is Charles Dickens.
- He was a famous English writer. People all over the world enjoy his stories.
Find out more about him, below.
- Charles Dickens was a famous English writer. He wrote many books, including Oliver Twist and Scrooge.
- When Dickens was a child his family were very poor.
- When he became famous, only rich people could afford to buy books. Dickens published his stories in sections in (cheaper) magazines so poorer people could read them.
Do you remember what happened in Charles Dickens' life? Try the activity below.
Did you know?
- Charles Dickens had seven brothers and sisters.
- He and his wife had ten children!
- The Dickens family had a pet raven (a large black bird) called Grip. When Grip died, Dickens had it stuffed!
- Dickens almost became an actor. He didn't get his first acting job because he had a bad cold.
Play our fun history games
Travel back in time with the people who changed history!
Fight racism with Nelson Mandela and Rosa Parks, walk on the moon with Neil Armstrong, and much more.