The association football block tackle
The block tackle is an essential skill for winning the ball back in football. It is mainly used when confronting an opponent head on and it is important to complete it with good timing and technique to prevent injury or fouls.
- Close down your opponent quickly but do not rush uncontrolled at them.
- Try to reduce any space around you and monitor for passing options.
- Stay on the balls of your feet, arms slightly out to jockey your opponent.
- Keep your eye on the ball and wait for a clear view of the ball.
- When you can see most of the ball, transfer your weight from your back to front foot and move the inside of your foot towards the ball.
- Maintain a strong body position.