Mary in captivity
Mary fled from Lochleven Castle to England by boat in May 1568.
Mary was held captive in England till her death in 1587 in a number of different locations:
- Mary stayed in Workington Hall on her first night in England in 1568.
- She was taken to Carlisle Castle and put under guard on the 18 May 1568.
- Mary was moved to Bolton Castle in mid-1568.
- Mary was moved to Tutbury Castle at the beginning of 1569.
- She was moved to Chartley Castle in 1585. This was to make sure she was not freed from captivity.
Siobhon Redmond describes the problems posed by Mary's arrival in England in the video below.