Basketball lay up technique
A lay-up provides a player with the opportunity to drive at the opponent's basket, jump close to the target and release the ball safely at the backboard. When used effectively it has the highest percentage chance of scoring points.
- Dribble to the side of net.
- When a few metres away from the basket, hold the ball with both hands on the shooting hands side of the body.
- Place the non-shooting hand on the side of the ball, and shooting hand on top of the ball.
- The last step before the lay-up jump should ensure that take off foot is opposite to the shooting hand (left foot/right hand).
- Flex the knee at takeoff.
- Whilst jumping, extend the shooting knee and raise the ball up.
- Bring the ball between the shoulder and ear.
- Direct the wrist and fingers straight at the basket and release the ball at the highest point.
- Complete the follow through with the arm up and palm facing down, and hold until the ball has reached the basket.