What is the Kingdom of God?
In Mark’s Gospel Jesus talks about the Kingdom of God, but what does he mean?
The Kingdom of God could be described as follows:
- a society where God rules
- a place where death is overcome
- a place where diseases are cured
- a place where evil spirits are overcome
- a place where people find a home and shelter in difficult times
Its characteristics and values could be as follows:
- simplicity of a child / purity
- belongs to those who suffer
- love God and love your neighbour
- honesty / truth
- joy in others’ achievements
- wealth and ambition must be sacrificed
The coming of the Kingdom of God (Mark 1: 14–15)
Here, Jesus says:
“The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
He meant that God’s rule has come. As his ministry progressed Jesus taught his followers more about what this meant for their lives.