Verbs with similar meanings - connaître and savoir
These two verbs are often mixed up in French as they mean similar things, but there is a distinct difference:
- savoir means to know (a fact)
- connaître means to know a person, eg be acquainted with, or to know a place
Here are some examples:
- je sais faire du patinage - I know how to ice-skate
- oui, je sais bien ! - yes, I know!
- il savait que tu étais malade - he knew you were ill
- tu connais mon frère Luc ? - do you know my brother Luke?
- oui, je le connais ! - yes, I know him
- connaissez-vous bien Londres ? - do you know London well?