Social change and popular entertainment
The 1920s was a period of great cultural and social change in the USA.
This decade saw the rapid growth of popular entertainment and greater freedom for some women.
This was because:
- people wanted to try out new things to escape from the memories of World War One;
- some Americans had more money and more time for leisure activities;
- there were technological advances;
- young people challenged the values and lifestyles of their parents, and many women were not content with their traditional role;
- black Americans wanted their culture promoted;
- the development of the consumer society altered life for many.