A flow chart is like a mind map that provides a visual structure for planning. It helps you to order your ideas and paragraphs into an effective structure.
Some writers find a flow chart helps them focus on each important stage of the writing process.
For example, this flow chart shows the planning for an article about social media.
- The writer will begin the article exploring the dangers surrounding social media.
- This will be followed by the negative aspects - such as overuse and cyberbullying.
- The focus will then shift to the positive side of social media, such as connecting with people and having a constant stream of news.
- The third section of the article will focus on offering the reader advice about social media, encouraging them to take care online.
- In conclusion, the writer will summarise what life was like before social media, balanced with the opportunities it now offers.