What is motivation?
Motivation is about the ways a business can encourage staff to give their best. Motivated staff care about the success of the business and work better. A motivated workforce results in:
- increased output caused by extra effort from workers
- improved quality as staff take a greater pride in their work
- a higher level of staff retention - workers are keen to stay with the firm and also reluctant to take unnecessary days off work
Managers can influence employee motivation in a variety of ways:
- monetary factors - some staff work harder if offered higher pay
- non monetary factors - other staff respond to incentives that have nothing to do with pay, eg improved working conditions or the chance to win promotion