Great Expectations - Key plot details
- The young Pip meets and assists the escaped convict Magwitch on the marshes near his home where he lives with his sister and Joe Gargery, the village blacksmith.
- Pip goes to Satis House where he meets the eccentric Miss Havisham and her adopted daughter Estella. He returns on several occasions.
- After working as a blacksmith's apprentice for a number of years, Pip grows up and is one day informed that he has come into a great deal of money. He assumes that this has come from Miss Havisham.
- Pip travels to London where he becomes a gentleman. He grows increasingly fond of Estella but neglects to maintain contact with his family.
- Magwitch illegally returns from abroad and announces that he is Pip's secret benefactor.
- Estella plans to marry Bentley Drummle and Miss Havisham is involved in a terrible fire.
- After Pip unsuccessfully tries to get Magwitch out of the country, Magwitch dies in prison and Pip loses his fortune.
- Pip, now older and wiser, returns to his family home and meets Estella once more.
Great Expectations is about Pip's journey from a poor childhood into privileged adulthood and the power that money and social class have to change him as he grows up.