As we rely on technology more and more, we face the problem of ensuring it is safe. Files could be:
- Corrupted because all of our machines are programmed by humans, and we can make mistakes.
- Lost amongst hundreds of other files, or physically lost as we transfer them on external hard drives and USB flash drives.
- Destroyed by fires, flooding or accidental or malicious mishandling.
- Deleted - with hundreds of files in several databases, it can be very easy to delete one by accident with a click of the wrong button.
- Hacked by someone looking to exploit users' personal information
- Damaged either accidentally or through malicious behaviour