Jeff Buckley - Grace
Opening of chorus
Look at the chorus. It is all built on the words ‘Wait in the fire’. Notice the long melisma on the final word 'fire'.
- The bridge presents some contrasting material.
- The first four bars use chords which move in parallel motion.
- The voice part is a vocalisation (wordless singing). The vocalisation opens in two parts, producing a rich texture.
- The coda provides the climax of the song.
- It is based on repetitions of the chord sequence F, E minor, E flat 7 (taken from the chorus).
- The highest notes are sung falsetto.
- Voices and instruments improvise elaborately creating a rich and full texture.
- A flange effect (an electronic effect producing a sweeping sound) is used on the guitar.