- Edward I was informed of the Maid's death by the Bishop of St Andrews.
- The Guardians invited Edward to select the next King of Scotland.
- The English King arrived at the Scottish border in April 1291 with a large army, which worried the Guardians.
Edward I forced the Guardians to meet him at Norham Castle, on the English side of the border.
Edward told the Guardians that the nobles would have to accept him as their overlord. (An overlord is a King or lord, who holds power over other lords.)
This was not usual and was dangerous for Scotland:
- The future King of Scotland would be controlled by Edward.
- It endangered Scotland’s independence.