In the build up to war, the southern confederate German states voluntarily joined the Prussian-controlled Northern German Confederation. Germany was now unified.
The Treaty of Frankfurt
The Franco-Prussian war was ended on 10th May with the signing of the Treaty of Frankfurt.
- the border between France and Germany was established
- France lost the territory of Alsace-Lorraine on its border with Germany
- it also had to pay Germany £200 million in compensation.
- a new imperial constitution was set up within the now unified German states
- Wilhelm I, was officially recognised as Emperor (Kaiser) of the German Empire