Use the following serving sizes to help ensure you are not consuming too many calories from the various sections of the Eatwell Guide when planning and cooking meals:
Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and other starchy carbohydrates
- 3-5 servings a day. Up to 7 for teenage boys and men aged 19-50.
Dairy and alternatives
- 3 servings a day. 5 for children aged 9-12 and teenagers aged 13-18.
Fruit and vegetables
Beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other proteins
Oils and spreads
- Use in very small amounts.
Tips to cut down on portion sizes
- Drink water throughout the day to keep you feeling fuller. It might mean you eat and snack less.
- Use cups or spoons when measuring all meals and calculate for the amount of people you are cooking for.
- If you need to use oils, use sprays to cut down on the amount used.
- Take your time when eating to ensure you do not overeat.
- Use smaller sized plates or bowls when eating meals.