People that live in the desert

Traditional adaptations to arid conditions

One example of people who live in the desert is the Bedouin tribe. They live in desert areas in the Middle East. Their traditional lifestyle has adapted to these extremely arid conditions.

  • Their nomadic lifestyle means they do not settle in one area for long. Instead, they move on frequently to prevent exhausting an area of its resources.
  • They have herds of animals which are adapted to living in desert conditions, such as camels.
  • Their tents are built to allow air to circulate within them, keeping them cool. Animal hair is used to insulate them, to keep the tent cool during the day and warmer at night.

Modern adaptations to arid conditions

A satellite image of Las Vegas

With both money and technology, desert areas can be developed to cater for modern lifestyles. Las Vegas, in the Mojave Desert, is one of the fastest-growing cities in the USA. The city of Las Vegas is lush and green in comparison with the surrounding desert.

This is possible because 90 per cent of the water Las Vegas needs is imported from the Colorado River. The remaining 10 per cent comes from ground water. The demand for water is not sustainable and the city has started to plan to reduce the demand for water. One way is that new homes have restrictions on the amount and type of lawns that they can have. The authority also recycles water where it can.