Muslim arguments in favour of capital punishment
Muslims accept that the death penalty is a punishment established by God in the Qur'an:
...Take not life, which God has made sacred, except by way of justice and law. Thus does He command you, so that you may learn wisdom.Qur'an 6:151
This verse teaches that although murder is considered a sin, it is acceptable to use capital punishment when required by law.
Other reasons Muslims may accept the death penalty include:
- The Prophet Muhammad sentenced people to death for murder.
- Shari'ah law states that the punishment for murder, adultery and denying Islam is the death penalty.
Muslim arguments against capital punishment
Some Muslims may argue against capital punishment for the following reasons:
- Although capital punishment is allowed in the Qur'an they do not think it is compulsory.
- Shari'ah law states that the family of a murder victim can accept money as reparation rather than enforce the death penalty.
- They believe that only Allah has the right to take life, and therefore carrying out the death penalty is 'playing God' and committing the sin of shirk.