Practical B4 - Use quadrats to investigate a habitat
Use quadrats to investigate the abundance of plants and/or animals in a habitat.
Quadrat - random sampling
- Divide the area to be sampled into a grid using measuring tapes placed at right angles to each other.
- Use random numbers to generate coordinates within the grid on which to place the quadrats.
- Place a quadrat at each coordinate.
- Count the numbers/estimate percentage cover of each species in each quadrat.
- Use a key to identify each species.
- Record results in a table.
- Calculate the average of each species.