Youth movements and education
The Nazis tried to brainwash the German population into believing in the Nazi way of life. They believed that the best way to do this was by changing the minds of the young.
The video below looks at youth in Nazi Germany and the division between girls and boys.
- This was aimed at developing young adults who believed fully in Nazi ideals.
- Teachers and university lecturers were forced to teach a very specific curriculum.
- Anti-Nazi and Jewish teachers were sacked.
- School subjects were given a pro-Nazi bias.
- History was taught to glorify Germany.
- Biology taught that pure Germans were superior.
- Textbooks were rewritten to teach Nazi beliefs.
- Boys were encouraged to join Hitler Youth. It taught survival techniques, military skills and the importance of physical fitness.
- Girls were encouraged to join the League of German Maidens. It taught the importance of family and how to be a good wife and mother.
The video below looks at why the Hitler youth was so important to the Nazi uprising.