Church and community cohesion - continued
The Church can do a number of things to help promote unity within a diverse and multicultural community.
On a Sunday, religious leaders can:
- Teach the importance of care for, and acceptance of, people from different backgrounds, cultures and religions.
- Run services in other languages if there is a large community of non-English speakers nearby.
- Hold special anti-racism or Holocaust memorial services.
Throughout the week they can:
- Run after-school or homework clubs to help children from different backgrounds to mix and spend time together.
- Hold parent and toddler groups to bring families together in a safe environment.
- Run youth clubs to encourage young people not to hang around on the streets at the weekend.
- Celebrate other traditions outside their own, eg the Chinese New Year.