Hockey forehand control
Good forehand control of the hockey ball is an essential skill to maintain possession of the ball from the opposition and, if done quickly, gives the player more time to make the correct next decision.
- Keep your eye on the ball at all times.
- Move parallel to the ball or side on with your left shoulder pointing at the incoming ball.
- If necessary, move towards the incoming ball and place the bottom of the stick on the ground.
- Transfer your body weight onto the balls of feet.
- Keep the left hand in-line and above the left knee and angle the top of the stick forward.
- Make contact with the ball and ensure that you maintain a pressure between the ball and the floor.
- After initial impact, use the hands to cushion and absorb the ball onto the stick.
- Keep the head of the stick steady.