Rugby union lineout pass
The lineout pass is the legal way to restart the game if the ball has gone out of play from either of the sidelines.
- Face the lineout and stand on the balls of your feet in opposition – left foot forward.
- Shift your weight on your front foot, with your knee slightly bent.
- The right hand should be near the back of the ball with the fingers spread and pointing up.
- The left hand should be near the front of the ball with fingers spread and pointing up.
- Point the ball at the lineout, raise both arms over your head and bend them slightly at the elbow.
- Bring your arms behind your head, with your elbows fully bent, close to your head.
- Weight should be on your front foot, ready for the throw.
- Bend backwards slightly at the waist.
- Transfer your weight from front foot to back foot and powerfully rock forward.
- The arms follow this motion, so the entire upper body moves in unison.
- Release the ball when your body is bent slightly forward at the waist.
- The dominant hand pushes the ball forward.
- At the exact same time, slide the right hand down the ball to generate spin.
- As you follow through, point the hands towards the intended target.