- The tundra is a very fragile environment. The smallest pressures can bring about its destruction.
- Polar ice caps are melting because of an increase in global warming.
- Many polar bears have starved to death as their feeding patterns have been disrupted.
- Melting ice caps are causing sea levels to rise and low-lying coastal areas to flood.
- Animals are often shot or scared away when they try to move through a town.
- Burst pipes have spilt hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude oil in Alaska devastating this fragile environment.
- Oil spills have caused serious water pollution in the Arctic Ocean.
- Some animals' movements to traditional feeding and nesting grounds have been disrupted by pipelines above the ground.